15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 8:23 PM by Bill Gehrke

nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!

Level 1

Input welcome... My nVidia Quadro FX 1700 graphics card limits available system RAM to 2 GB. I have 4 GB in my XP Pro machine and expect 3 GB available (by XP limit). I changed the card to a new GeForce 9800 GT (which has auxiliary power) and 3 GB appears in Task Manager. Does anyone have any idea what's happening? I have a beefy 460 watt power supply and use dual 1024 X 768 monitors.

• 1. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

drh20s wrote:

Input welcome... My nVidia Quadro FX 1700 graphics card limits available system RAM to 2 GB. I have 4 GB in my XP Pro machine and expect 3 GB available (by XP limit). I changed the card to a new GeForce 9800 GT (which has auxiliary power) and 3 GB appears in Task Manager. Does anyone have any idea what's happening? I have a beefy 460 watt power supply and use dual 1024 X 768 monitors.

460 Watt would hardly qualify as beefy. It is sufficient only for very mediocre systems, not with 4 GB, Quaddro FX1700 or Geforrce 9800 GT card with dual monitors. And then only if you limit the number of disks, burners, fans etc.

You are asking for trouble with such a PSU. Maybe that is what you are already experiencing.

BTW, what is wrong with 3 GB showing up in taskmanager? Did you take into consideration the memory on the Quaddro card?

• 2. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm also not understanding what the problem is.  With the data supplied, all seems as it should be.

• 3. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
              joshtownsend Level 2

XP 32 can only use 3.2 gigs of Ram anyway. Unless you use the 3/gb switch Premiere can only access 2 gigs of ram. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124810.aspx

Most likely your setup is using system ram to help withe video card. Google it.

• 4. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
                Level 1

I appreciate the quick feedback. The computer is an Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM, a 250 GB system drive and a 1 TB eSATA video drive. That is not a lot of demand on the power supply and I doubt it would affect the RAM. As I said, the nVidia Quadro FX 1700 only displays 2 GB RAM available and simply switching boards to the GeForce 9800 GT shows 3+ Gb RAM available. I am stumped as to why the nVidia card restricts the RAM. Everything else works fine, otherwise. I do notice I cannot exceed 1024 X 768 resolution on the monitors, though.

• 5. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

All video cards "restrict the RAM", as do many other things.  A 32 bit OS has a potential max of 4 GB available for everything - your installed RAM, the memory on your video card, the memory on your sound card, etc.  If you have 4GB installed, and a graphics card with 1GB on it, and a RAID card with 1GB on it, and something else with 512 MB on it, you'll end up showing only 1.5 GB available.  See now?

• 6. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
                    Level 1

That makes sense, Joe. Thanks...

Josh: I tried the 3/GB switch change in the boot file. When powered down I put the Quadro FX 1700 back in and started it up... Same deal: 2 GB RAM in the Task Manager. The funy thing is that 4 GB shows up in the Bios...

I'm still listening for ideas to try and will eventually find fault with the card if nothing works.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND BETWEEN THE 2 CARDS (geForce 9800 GT vs. nVidia Quadro FX 1700) for video editing with CS4???

• 7. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
                      joshtownsend Level 2

Not sure there's much difference..... Premiere has limited video card use anyway.

• 8. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Does not make any discernable difference on the system you have.

• 9. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm still listening for ideas to try and will eventually find fault with the card if nothing works.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your card, nor will there be any 'ideas' on how to change things.  This is just the way things are for a 32 bit OS.

The BIOS sees 4GB, because that's what's installed.  Windows can only see as much as is left over when the various system memories are accounted for.

• 10. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
                            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Tomorrow afternoon I will perform the required experiment.  I have a FX1700 waiting to be installed.  Will get back with the results.  The current GeForce 8800GT shows 3GB.

• 11. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
                              spreeni Level 1

I use a Quadro FX1700, too. My System uses 3.2 GB of my 4 GB Memory. Funny thing: Some weeks ago I intalled a card reader for testing, after that sytem memory only shows 3 GB. So, could it be some other hardware, that uses FX1700 needed RAM Adress space? Try to disable not needed (onboard) hardware (disable in BIOS).

• 12. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!

Interesting effect, I installed the FX1700 and installed the latest drivers.  I am debugging my PPBM4 (Premiere Pro BenchMark for CS4) and guess what?   On my disk intensive portion the FX1700 slowed down the benchmark (where I was getting 6-7 seconds for a certain highly repetative action with my GeForce 8800GT it was now taking 12-13 seconds to perform the same task)!!!  Needless to say I now have the 8800GT reinstalled and have a FX1700 ready for eBay.

And oh yes I did not see a change in the available memory in XP with the FX1700 installed.  Of course both boards have 512 MB which must be mapped into that 4 GB of installed memory.  I did disable both serial ports and the parallel port and I guess they do not use enough memory to have effected the total memory available (for me 3.0 GB).

Edit:  One other interesting outcome of my brief test was that the titles in my benchmark test file had Brush Script font and while the FX1700 and its drivers were installed it substituted Arial and had a very limited set of fonts available.  Now that I have the 8800 back installed all the regular fonts are again available in the Titler.

• 13. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
                                  Level 1

Thank you, Bill.

I rendered my first project -- a 10 minute video for DVD that included various media like FLV, AVI, JPEG stills, and an MP3 file. My 1 GB GeForce 9800 GT board rendered it so fast I thought something was "wrong." However, I am keeping the nVidia 1700 as a backup should the other ever fail me in the middle of something!

Interesting how the nVidia 1700 is somewhat EXPENSIVE and called "mid-range," but from what I understand it is more of a CAD board, showing up in lots of workstations used for those purposes.

Now, if I only could aford that new $1500+ nVidia Quadro CX!!!

• 14. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!
                                    spreeni Level 1

Bill, can you explain this "Premiere Pro BenchMark for CS4". As a FX1700 user I'm interested in verifying your results.

• 15. Re: nVidia Quadro FX 1700 stops RAM @ 2 GB!

Sorry it has taken awhile for me to get back to you.

I created a hardware testing benchmark specifically for Premiere back in 2005 (even though Adobe says I joined in 2006)it worked for Premiere Pro 1.5 and later Premiere 2.  When CS3 came out I was quite busy and when I finally got it finished CS4 was released.  I have been struggling to develop the same reliable repeatable type of benchmark for CS4 but every time I think I have a solution additional testing reveals erratic results from AME.  Everything was giving me good results until I started testing with Vista 64 (previous testing was Windows XP on two different computers under many many different disk configurations).  When right in the middle of an encoding run that should take--and actually does sometimes--something in the order of 10 seconds all of a sudden stops for 15 seconds and then continues is giving me fits.  There is absolutely no other activity going on on the computer.   Actually the random and mutiple pauses initially did occur in AME 4.0.1 and seemed to somewhat disappear in 4.0.2 until I put my Vista 64 disk in the system.

Take a look at my old web site at:  http://mysite.verizon.net/wgehrke/ppbm/ppbm3index.html