5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2009 5:59 PM by Q Photo RSS

My hue/saturation filter quits working in Photoshop CS3

Community Member

I keep having this issue where my hue/saturation filter just quits working.  I use that filter religiously so it has to be fixed each time it occurs.  I've only had the Adobe CS3 for 3 months and I've had to resolve this 3 times now.  Each time this has happend I've had to uninstall the entire CS3 design package and do a complete reinstall which takes almost 4 hours because my download uses the Adobe server.  My product download was purchased online so I do not have a disk but rather files that I downloaded from Adobe with product serial numbers.

I've used Adobe for years, as far back as Adobe 5, and never had such a problem!  I've checked in my preferences and have ample RAM available for the settings.  I use Dell inspirion and have 2 GB of RAM total on my system.

Can someone please advise why this would keep happening.

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: My hue/saturation filter quits working in Photoshop CS3
          ssprengel MVP

What do you mean that the hue/sat filter quits working?  Does the menu item become grayed out?  Do the sliders become disabled?  Do the sliders move but nothing happens to the image?  Does it happen in the middle of using the using the hue/sat filter?  Does it happen between images within a session?  Does it happen with the first image of a session? 

Have you tried resetting your preferences instead of uninstalling/reinstalling?

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:28 PM

To: Steve Sprengel

Subject: My hue/saturation filter quits working in Photoshop CS3

I keep having this issue where my hue/saturation filter just quits working.  I use that filter religiously so it has to be fixed each time it occurs.  I've only had the Adobe CS3 for 3 months and I've had to resolve this 3 times now.  Each time this has happend I've had to uninstall the entire CS3 design package and do a complete reinstall which takes almost 4 hours because my download uses the Adobe server.  My product download was purchased online so I do not have a disk but rather files that I downloaded from Adobe with product serial numbers.

I've used Adobe for years, as far back as Adobe 5, and never had such a problem!  I've checked in my preferences and have ample RAM available for the settings.  I use Dell inspirion and have 2 GB of RAM total on my system.

Can someone please advise why this would keep happening.

Thank you very much.

• 2. Re: My hue/saturation filter quits working in Photoshop CS3
            Community Member

The hue/saturation filter window does open and it is not grayed out.  However, it does not allow me to do any thing to it.  I try to slide the saturation to the left or right and it does not move.  The same goes for the "Lightness" and "Hue".  I don't understand why it will work for a month or so and then just quit.  I end up rebooting my system to try and resolve but unfortunately once this occurs it seems to be stuck no matter what I do, that is until I unstall the entire program and reinstall...

So if I need to change something in my preferences, what do you suggest that would be?  I appreciate your help, thank you.

• 3. Re: My hue/saturation filter quits working in Photoshop CS3
              ssprengel MVP

Resetting your preferences is much faster than uninstalling/reinstalling, so if you haven't tried it, that would be what to do next, although it would be nice to figure out what the issue is.

To reset your preferences hold the Ctrl-Alt-Shift keys down (windows) or Ctrl-Option-Shift keys down (mac) as you start up Photoshop.  You should get a message confirming whether you want to delete the preferences file.  If resetting preferences fixes things, then you should try to remember what you've been doing, just prior to having the problem.

Once Hue/Sat sliders seem to be disabled, are they still way for all images that you open (a JPG for example), or are they just messed up for one image, but you need to work on that image so you have to fix things before doing anything else?  Hue/Sat is not a valid operation for certain modes, like Grayscale, although the menu item is disabled in this case.

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:40 PM

To: Steve Sprengel

Subject: Re: My hue/saturation filter quits working in Photoshop CS3

The hue/saturation filter window does open and it is not grayed out.  However, it does not allow me to do any thing to it.  I try to slide the saturation to the left or right and it does not move.  The same goes for the "Lightness" and "Hue".  I don't understand why it will work for a month or so and then just quit.  I end up rebooting my system to try and resolve but unfortunately once this occurs it seems to be stuck no matter what I do, that is until I unstall the entire program and reinstall...

So if I need to change something in my preferences, what do you suggest that would be?  I appreciate your help, thank you.

• 4. Re: My hue/saturation filter quits working in Photoshop CS3
                Community Member

Thanks.  I'll be sure to reset the prefrences from here on now that I know how.

When this occurs it just doesn't happen to the image/file it starts on.  It's permantely stuck for any and all images including: jpg's, pdfs, pngs, gifs, ect...

I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary.  I use this filter all the time.  Again, this has only occured since I started using the CS3.  Not sure if there is something getting crossed on my system or what.

Thanks again for you help!

• 5. Re: My hue/saturation filter quits working in Photoshop CS3
                  Q Photo Community Member

After down loading from Adobe, why do you not burn to a CD or DVD?