12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 1:20 PM by Curt Wrigley

definition of terms

Kent Jakusz

Excuse me but I am new to video editing and have basic questions

1. Where can I find a definition of terms used;  anamorphic, pixel aspect ratio for video, stills. I have tried google and the explainations are not pertinent to this program or so involved that I have trouble understanding how it applies.

Currently I am trying to determine what sequence settings are applicable for my footage.

thanks

Kent

• 1. Re: definition of terms
          Jim_Simon Level 8

This may not be the popular answer, but my own viewpoint here is that things of this type are best learned while earning a degree in video production.

First learn, then do.  That you're here asking this question indicates you're trying to skip (or at at least shortcut) step one, which is something I generally advise against for those wanting to use an editor at the Premiere Pro level.

• 2. Re: definition of terms
            tclark513 Level 3

Look in the Premiere Pro cs4 Help guide.  It will spell out everything you want to know as far as terms go.

• 3. Re: definition of terms
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

A glossary will explain terms to you.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
              Eddie

• 4. Re: definition of terms
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie,

Neat! I always thought that the manual should have had a full glossary. Thanks for posting the link.

Even with a degree in cinematography, I had to learn a new language, just so I could use Help and ask questions here.

To the OP,

If the printed manual is still shipped with PrPro, I'd recommend reading it cover to cover, and then many of the terms will start to make sense. It took me two readings for some of it to sink in. I still use it for things that went over my head on both readings, and some years of working with the program. Learning these terms, as you wish to do, will help everywhere, especially in the fora, so that everyone is "on the same page." That's one reason that I use capitalization for terms that are used in PrPro, when posting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: definition of terms
                  Kent Jakusz Level 1

Thanks Eddie for the great answer.  Yes I am new at this and yes I am trying to learn it on my own.  I live in a rural area and do not have access to a facility where a degree is offered.  A more structured classroom would be nice.

Thanks to all

Kent

• 6. Re: definition of terms
                    windowman Level 1

You can find most of what you're looking for here:  http://billseper.com/video/video_main.html

• 7. Re: definition of terms
                      windowman Level 1

I should point out that those web pages were made in 2005. There are some new codecs and cams out since then, but most of the info is still pertinent.

I don't know about film schools and such. I learned everything from books and websites, and if I can do it then surely you can. You can actually learn things much quicker on your own if you're the self study type because you won't have to wade through all sorts of info you don't care about but which are required for the courses.

I've been recommending Scot Billup's book "Digital Moviemaking" for year by the way. It's the best I've ever come across for the subject at hand.

• 8. Re: definition of terms
                        Kent Jakusz Level 1

Thanks for the great response and taking the time to share.  I have read your article and ordered "Digital

Moviemaking"

I use a Canon XHA1 and edit on a Mac.  I am trying to decide on a editing program either FCE or Adobe PP.  My

output is to DVD and the goal is for the highest quality possible.  I look forward to Scott's book and again thank you.

Enjoy

Kent Jakusz

• 9. Re: definition of terms
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

There is something weird happening that is causing random repeated posts.   Im locking this thread to stop it from running away.

Not the posters fault...

• 10. Re: definition of terms
                            john cornicello (retired) Level 4

Looks like someone deleted the duplicate posts. That won't help troubleshoot. I'm opening the thread again to see the duplicates start up again. If we get one or two please go ahead and lock it up again. But please don't delete them.

Thanks!

John

• 11. Re: definition of terms
                              Kent Jakusz Level 1

Thanks for the great response and taking the time to share.  I have read your article and ordered "Digital

Moviemaking"

I use a Canon XHA1 and edit on a Mac.  I am trying to decide on a editing program either FCE or Adobe PP.  My

output is to DVD and the goal is for the highest quality possible.  I look forward to Scott's book and again thank you.

Enjoy

Kent Jakusz

• 12. Re: definition of terms
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

ok; there's a dup.  Ill relock it now.