7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2009 3:32 PM by Frustrated Entusiast

So brilliant and yet so useless !!!

Frustrated Entusiast Level 1

I spend a couple of hours just viewing video after video, thinking how fast paced and concise all of the videos are.

Then I opened up Flex Builder and wanted to follow along.

Oh what a let down to find out that there are no project nor any source files for any of the videos.

The videos present an employee example and the exercise files deal with an unrelated example about hotel rooms.

! ! ! - WHAT A DAMN DISAPPOINTMENT - ! ! !

What a shame to have spent so much time coming up with examples, writing up the spoken lines, filming all of the exercises and then leaving out the source files and not making them downloadable.

! ! ! - WHAT A DMAN SHAME - ! ! !

• 1. Re: So brilliant and yet so useless !!!
          Steve Howard, ACP Level 3

The videos present an employee example and the exercise files deal with an unrelated example about hotel rooms.

!  ! - WHAT A DAMN DISAPPOINTMENT -  !

But the exercises match the videos, by using the same principles on a different project file. You get to build a similar, but different, project from the group up.

Which is clever teaching, nit disappointing at all.

Take a deep breath and try it. It works pretty well.

Steve

• 2. Re: So brilliant and yet so useless !!!

When importing "Using XML with E4X" - Excercise 11 - I am getting ...

"The project being imported has paths to resources that may be in different locations on your system. Specify the correct paths below."

These issues with exercises are lot worse then I thought at first.

What a mess and what a needless waste of time.

This is such a shame becuase the presentations themselves are so beutiful.

• 3. Re: So brilliant and yet so useless !!!

I didn't encounter that problem.

Did you start at the beginning of all the exercises and work through every one in turn? If you do, you will work through the same project, and won't need to import any of the starting-point files at all.

If you started right in at the e4X exercise, did you import to a project already set up in the same folder as defined in the first exercise? Or did you create your own folder etc?

I ask so that I can understand what your issue is - I didn't encounter the error you describe but I'm trying to open dialogue with Adobe about certain maintenance that is required on these exercises. If there is something that is broken with the exercise, then it should be addressed, but since I did not encounter the same issue you outlined (I started working through Flex in a Week last Wednesday, and I've completed day 1, 2 and 3 so far...) I'm hoping you can help me understand your problem better.

Steve

• 4. Re: So brilliant and yet so useless !!!

I jumped ahead to the E4X exercise but am aware of the fact that all excercises have a common "AdobeODT" name and have been renaming the current one out of the way so that I can import the next one.

I have just gone bacwards to exercise 8 and it loads fine.

However, starting with 9 (and server side ????) we are hit with "Update Variable Path" and entries for LCDS_WEB_URI and LCDS_FLEX_SERVER_ROOT

Has anyone tested this garbage and if not and if a suggested method is to keep building onto the same exercise then why not remove the rest of this garbage ?!?

• 5. Re: So brilliant and yet so useless !!!

If you take a moment to browse this newsgroup you'll see that others have encountered issues with lesson 9. The solution is posted here

http://forums.adobe.com/message/939584#939584

Steve

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: So brilliant and yet so useless !!!

A PROBLE IN EXERCISE NINE HAS BROKEN ALL SUBSEQUENT EXERCISES ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It is such a damn shame that the course itself is so beutifully done for both technies and non techies alike and then it's wrecked to pieces by hacked exercise implementations.

The instructional part of the course is so well done that you get sucked into trying hopelessly to hack your way around what should have been the easiest thing to provide - ******* exercises !!!

WHAT A DAMN WASTE OF TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!