3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2009 9:17 AM by rebrown

Can't seem to start the Trial Version of PageMaker.

I downloaded and installed the Trial version on to a Windows XP SP3 Desktop and all seems well until I try to start the application. I get the error pop-up box that says "Adobe PageMaker for Windows application file has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I loaded the same thing on my Laptop, also a Windows XP, SP3 OS and it seems to work fine.

I turned off Norton's Anti-Virus and quit all other applications, but that doesn't seem to help. I have also uninstalled and re-downloaded several times and I get the same thing.

I was going to buy PageMaker, but if it won't work on my PC.....?

Any ideas out there as to what might be going on.. ?

• 1. Re: Can't seem to start the Trial Version of PageMaker.
          Ian C. Matthew Level 2

Perhaps your issues are caused by Win XP's SP3. Roll back to SP 2 to see if this fixes things. That said, perhaps it's best to look upon your PM7 trial problems as a blessing in disguise. PM is not worth buying. Not because it cannot produce anything useful. It still can. However, as technology passes it by (Win Vista, Win 7, 64 bit, OSX), PM finds it harder, if not impossible to install on modern systems. Bear in mind that PM 7.02 is not just the current version, it's also THE last version EVER! No further upgrades, so no version 7.5 or 8.0 and no further updates.

Most here, including myself will recommend InDesign. Esp if you are eligible for a PM-InDesign upgrade. However, even PagePlus is a better choice than PM as it has more modern features and is still being upgraded and updated, unlike PM.

Hope this helps.

Ian

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't seem to start the Trial Version of PageMaker.
            Level 4

Do yourself a favor. Forget Pagemaker. Its old last century application. Why Adobe continues to sell it is beyond me. In its day it was a great app but now its limited in what it can do and I doubt any printer or service bureau still support such an old app as they would need to have really old gear to get it to work.

If you want a page layout application try out InDesign its like Pagemaker on Steroids.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can't seem to start the Trial Version of PageMaker.
              Level 1

Thanks for both inputs.. not really what I wanted to hear, but maybe it is more accurate. I should probably look at why did it "work" on my laptop... not why it "didn't" on my desktop. I don't think I want to roll back to SP2 just for PageMaker.

I only needed it because I have a person that does a Newsletter in PM and then forwards it to me to put on a website as a pdf. She can't get her version to convert to pdf because of some graphics she uses, so I have been scanning the printed copy to pdf and adding that to the site. I lose some of the clarity as my scanner is getting old, but it would probably be cheaper to buy a new scanner.

I placed a bid on eBay for a copy of PM and now I hope I get outbid.

As for InDesign.. I don't believe I would use it enough to justify the cost. Adobe products have never been cheap.

Personally... I will stick with my own copy of Publisher.. It does most everything I need.

Thanks again..