11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 9:27 AM by Dennis 1111

Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2

Could you please take a look at my photo here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3359135871_2ce4e1f30b_o.jpg

One the left I open the file with Camera raw and on the right is Capture NX2, I dont' know the reason why my photo lose so much details and color, as you can see in the photo, the right one is more sharper than the left one. Does anyone know how to fix this problem because I have so many presets in Camera raw and I don't like to use NX.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm Vietnamese.

• 1. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
          Dennis 1111 Level 2

I can't tell what version of PS/Camera Raw you are using so some of these suggestions may or may not be available to you:

Sharpening - This is applied in the Detail tab of Camera Raw.  For a face like this, you could start out with Detail 20, Radius 1.2, and Amount of 35.  Experiment from there.  Holding down on the Option key will allow you to see the effect change for the particular control.  If the image is high-ISO, you may want to apply a little masking as well.

Clarity - If you have the Clarity control on the Basic tab of Camera Raw, experiment with that.  A positive value will add mid-tone contrast and accentuate facial features.  A negative value, if available, will smooth out skin blemishes to some extent.

Vibrance - Will add some color to the lips without over-saturating the skin.

Exposure, Blacks, Brightness - Adjust to widen the histogram without clipping important shadows and highlights.

Contrast - Adjust as needed.

If you want to match the Nikon color as close as possible, go to the Calibration tab of Camera Raw and select on of the Nikon simulated profiles in the drop-down box at the top of the tab.  If you have the Nikon-like profiles, they will be named Camera D2X Mode X, Camera Portrait, Camera Neutral, etc..

Here are some free video tutorials and demos over on Adobe TV if you would like to learn more about Camera Raw:

http://tv.adobe.com/#se+camera%20raw

• 2. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

Another thought, are you using the camera profiles that are available from Adobe? Have you devoted any time to creating defaults for Camera Raw?

Out of the camera, NEF files will look different in CNX because it is capable of reading all of the in-camera settings. Some of those settings are proprietary and cannot be read by ACR. So you need to take the time to determine appropriate defaults, and use the camera matching profiles. Until you start doing this you will see these differences in the renderings from the two programs.

• 3. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
              Level 1

Thank you for your reply but I don't know how to make ACR read all of the settings from my camera as NX2. Could you please help me figure it out? I'm using Nikon D300, and CS4. I can change the color in ACR and it doesn't matter but the sharpness is such a big problem.

• 4. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
                Dennis 1111 Level 2

ACR will only use the basic exposure and white balance you chose in-camera.  For other things like saturation, picture styles, sharpening, and so on you will have to make your own adjustments in ACR.  If you have combinations that you commonly use, you can define presets in ACR and use those.

If you have a  particular set of ACR settings that you find works as a starting point for most photos, you can save that as a default to be used for new images.  You save the default by using the fly-out menu on the tab bar and selecting "Save new camera raw defaults".

The Nikon-like camera profiles that we mentioned will also help.

Sharpening is only visible in Camera Raw at 100% zoom or greater.  If you want to see simulated sharpening at less than 100% zoom, I suggest you bring the image into Photoshop.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
                  Marco N. Level 1

If I'm not wrong, ACR and PS share the same sharpening algorithm at zoom level belowe 100%.

Marco

• 6. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
                    Dennis 1111 Level 2

Marco N. wrote:

If I'm not wrong, ACR and PS share the same sharpening algorithm at zoom level belowe 100%.

Marco

You are wrong.

ACR does NOT show sharpening at less than 100% as I said previously.

The latest version of ACR even has a note in the middle of the Detail tab that explains it.

• 7. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

Marco,

I don't understand your statement here.  The level of zoom has nothing to do with which algorithms are being used.  Sharpening in ACR is capture sharpening, and should not be regarded as the final step in the sharpening process.

• 8. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
                        Marco N. Level 1

I don't talk about real image sharpening but appearance sharpening for zoom level belowe 100% (regardless of what value you set up in the detail panel).

I dont have my copy of PS under the hands, so try this: open a raw image in PS and set the zoom to 33%. Now reopen the same image and keep it in Camera Raw, press F key, set the 33% zoom level and compare the image in PS and in ACR. Are they different?

Marco

• 9. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
                          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

Marco N. wrote:

I don't talk about real image sharpening but appearance sharpening for zoom level belowe 100% (regardless of what value you set up in the detail panel).

I dont have my copy of PS under the hands, so try this: open a raw image in PS and set the zoom to 33%. Now reopen the same image and keep it in Camera Raw, press F key, set the 33% zoom level and compare the image in PS and in ACR. Are they different?

Marco

As near as I can tell they are pretty much the same.  But that doesn't mean they are sharing any special algorithms for sub-100% viewing, it just means the sharpening effects are not being displayed.  Everything I have read states that in order to view the effects of sharpening you must viewing at 100% or greater.  Otherwise, this whole sharpening thing is a nonissue.

• 10. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
                            Marco N. Level 1

There is no double that the sharpening should be set up at zoom of 100% (or greater, sometime I use the 200%).

My double is only a curiosity: has ACR implemented in the late versions (5.0?, 5.2?) some sharpening algorithm to present the image at lower zoom (belowe 100%)? In the previous version (3.x, 4.x) I saw the image more (very) blurred, and it not seem to me only a sensation.

Marco

• 11. Re: Question about Camera raw and capture NX 2
                              Dennis 1111 Level 2

If you use the Detail panel to apply sharpening in ACR, those effects will NOT be visible in ACR at less than 100% zoom.  If you then open that image in Photoshop, those sharpening effectas WILL be visible at all zoom levels although the sharpening cannot really be considered to be "accurate" except at 100% or greater.

Other than that, I would say that PS and ACR displays are similar but they are probably not using the same exact display engines.  I don't think this really matters though as related to the OP's doubts.

The reason I mentioned the less-than-100% thing is that people who are used to using other raw developers are often used to seeing the sharpening effects at less than 100% (even if they aren't accurate).  When they start using ACR, they can be a little disappointes/confused because they don't see the sharpening like they're used to - neither in ACR nor in Bridge - unless they are at 100% zoom or greater.