4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 1:27 PM by Neoburn_1035

Stop playing embedded swf when clicking on a link in the parent swf

Ok so I have a flash website www.sitzmarkgolf.com. I have a couple of embedded swf's in my main flash page. When you click on a menu item to switch to another page the embedded swf's reload the home page again until they stop playing. Is there a way via as to stop these swf's from playing when you click on a link? sorry I am new to flash and as. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Neoburn_1035

• 1. Re: Stop playing embedded swf when clicking on a link in the parent swf
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

an embedded swf is one loaded by a html page.  often when a flash link is clicked an external swf is loaded.

when you click a link what happens and what do you want to happen?

• 2. Re: Stop playing embedded swf when clicking on a link in the parent swf
            Level 1

Well this page is a swf loaded inside of another swf. I am not sure if you have gone to the site. It is kind of hard to explain what is it doing. bu basicly i have a parent swf called preview this loads the background, menu links, logo, mp3 player and the frame for the page swf's. On the swf that is loaded in the frame for the home page there are two additional swf's that are just rotating images, if you don't wait for them to finish playing and you click on another page it reloads the home page and the swf's on it. I am not sure if this makes any since. But basically I want it to stop playing the swf's when I click on the menu button in the parent swf.

Thanks,

Neoburn_1035

• 3. Re: Stop playing embedded swf when clicking on a link in the parent swf
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

in as2, once an object starts to download you can't stop it.  so your swfs are going to continue downloading no matter what you do.  however, you can prevent them from being displayed if that suits your needs.

i'm can't determine what causes your two swfs to start loading and why they restart loading when another button is clicked, but that's key to helping you.

however, if you've already set this up so those two swfs are repeatedly used, they sound like they're important to your design so you might want to preload them so they are available immediately when a button is clicked.

• 4. Re: Stop playing embedded swf when clicking on a link in the parent swf
                Level 1

Well that is not exactlly what I am talking about. I am talking about when the movie is playing not downloading. If I put the movie back on loop, then when I change to another page it reloads the home page no mater how many times it has looped prior. Right now I have it set to play once then stop. Once it stops you can change the page and it wont reload the home page. What I am trying to do is to get the swf to stop playing when you change pages. That way it doesn't try to reload he home page.