3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2009 3:12 AM by Paul_LS

New to Premier elements

Hello everyone,

As you may have guessed I am new to Premier elements. I am wanting to record video from my sony Handycam which is in 8mm tape format. The camcorder is a CCD-trv15 NTSC model. I know enough that I can't connect the camera directly to the computer and download via premier elements. I have been able to connect it to my video card which is a ATI All in Wonder Radeon 7500. I have learned that Premier elements likes to use AVI format to do editing. I do have many choices as far as video format to record the video onto my harddrive using the video card. I have tried several. Some with what seems to be good results until I burn a dvd using elements. I used AVI VGA Resolution (640x480 , 29.97 FPS UYVY video format). The video plays on a standard dvd player but it seems real jittery when the camera shot is moving. Almost like the picture is trying to catch up with the frame. If the camera shot is still it looks fine. When moving the camera it is a real trick on the eyes.

My question is what would be the best way to get my videos to my harddrive and then to dvd with what I have. I would like to buy a new HD camcorder but with the economy the way it is, well you may be in the same boat. I plan on buying the book for premier elements soon, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Stelle

My email is Steelecurtain@comcast.net is anyone wants to contact me that way.

• 1. Re: New to Premier elements
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The best advice I can give you is that, if you plan to edit with Premiere Elements DO NOT capture with that All in Wonder card. It's a primitive capture device, and none of the formats it captures as will work in Premiere Elements without conversions or problems.

The best investment you can make, if you plan to capture analog video regularly, is an ADS Pyro AV Link. This device, which sells for under $150, captures DV-AVIs, the ideal format for editing with Premiere Elements. And I've never met anyone who was unhappy with the results.

Cheaper solutions, like the ATI card or Pinnacle's Dazzle, just lead to problems. And there are many more expensive options.

But the Pyro AV Link will give you captured video that interfaces perfectly with any video editor and looks at least as good as the original tape!

• 2. Re: New to Premier elements
            Rambutani

I just got a computer that has an ATI TV Wonder HD 650 PCI express card, which I am trying to use to convert VHS tapes to digital format.

So far, the mpg files look decent, but that's in preview mode only. I haven't done any exports to DVD or anything.

Are you saying that the quality of the images I would get with the Pyro A/V Link would be significantly better than with the TV Wonder card?

My other issue is that I have a Vista 64-bit system, and I'm not sure whether ADS has updated that model to work with my operating system. The ADS website still carries a message that reads, "ATTENTION VISTA CUSTOMERS: Devices that will have              Vista Drivers/ Software will be available for download or further              instruction on our product support site as soon as development is complete." There was also a thread at muvipix.com from Feb in which a Vista user was describing difficulty trying to get his Pyro link to work after upgrading from Windows XP and Premiere 2.0 to Vista (32-bit) and Premiere 7, using the same Pyro that had previously been working.

I'm more than willing to invest in a separate analogue capture device/converter and a time-base corrector if it will significantly improve the results. (It will be a pain after spending many hours converting many old tapes. But que sera sera.)

• 3. Re: New to Premier elements
              Paul_LS Level 4

The issue with capturing to MPEG2 is that it is a compressed format. This is fine for viewing... it is the same format that is on a DVD, however it can gives issues when editing. These issues are generally audio sync issues and problems when exporting/burning.

The other thing is that once you export/burn Premiere Elements will re-compress the file again to MPEG2 and this is where you will lose quality. DV-AVI as captured by the Pyro and Canopus devices is less compressed... it is 13GB per hour compared to about 4Gb per hour for MPEG (dependant on the compression bit rate) and therefore can be exported/imported without losing quality... then on the final export/burn it will be transcoded to MPEG2.