1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 5:03 AM by ergo_eleven

Want to solve memory leak issue using flex profiler

Hi All,

I have one critical problem.

I have one web application developed using flex, when users use this application flex eats up memory of user's machine (client side) and users complain that when they use this application their machine gets slow and they have to restart their machine.

I used flex profiling to understand the root cause of the problem.

The result of profiler tells that Class, Function, Object, String, and UITextField are eating up the memory and garbage collector is not freeing the unused memory. I am not getting why these inbuilt flex classes are not releasing memory.

I am not sure how to solve the problem, i have tried to call garbage collector form code but that also didn't make any change.

Attached is the output screen of flex profile, i have sorted it by Memory, you can see Class, Function, Object, String, and UITextField are the top memory consumer and you can see their instances and memory is not getting released.

• 1. Re: Want to solve memory leak issue using flex profiler
          ergo_eleven

You should locate problem components that is not garbage collected. Use finding loitering object in profiler - take subsequent snapshot befor and after some discrete interaction with you application.

You probably do not removes event listeners from you components, services call, timers - all this keep referenses to objects.

Also you must to know that manualy calling garbage collector (gc()) doesn't make sence in non-debugger player.