4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2009 10:14 AM by Ben Chuang

Reader 9.1 on Mac / embedded multimedia / uninstall

I installed Acrobat Reader 9.1 on my Mac. I have some pdf files which contain a lot of multimedia (mostly flash) in them. Unfortunately embedded multimedia is displayed only on windows enviroment as far as I understand. If not, why reader doesn't display the flash animations in my pdf files?

Because of this problem, I wanted to uninstall reader but couldn't find a way to do this. In the release notes, it says "to uninstall double click the Acrobat Uninstaller file in Adobe folder". I checked the /Applications/Adobe folder and there is no "Acrobat Uninstaller" file there. How can I uninstall Acrobat Reader (Multi Language) on Mac OS X 10.5.1?

Thanks in advance,

Engin Uysal

• 1. Re: Reader 9.1 on Mac / embedded multimedia / uninstall
          Level 1

Nobody knows how to uninstall 9.1 from Mac OSX 10.5.6?

• 2. Re: Reader 9.1 on Mac / embedded multimedia / uninstall

Hi. I've got the same problem on my Mac OS X 10.4.11. In their release notes for Acrobat 9.1, Adobe say that one should look for the Uninstaller in the Acrobat folder. However, no similar instructions are given for people who have just installed the Reader and would now like to get rid of it - and there just is NO uninstaller to be found in the Adobe Reader folder. Dumping that folder to trash will not solve the issue either (as you would normally expect from a program developed for Mac), since the Reader has spread innumerable files everywhere across the system. Any help, please?!!?

• 3. Re: Reader 9.1 on Mac / embedded multimedia / uninstall
              bslade

Most Acrobat related files are actually hidden under the Adobe Acrobat icon "package" (the whole set of directories holding most of the executable related files are shown as one icon which is called package).   You can control-click on the icon and then click on "Show Package Contents" to see everything.   So by deleting the icon, I think you are deleting most of the files.

There are also are some login specific data files kept in "/Users/mylogin/Library/Application Support/Adobe", but I don't think they're used if Adobe Acrobat isn't used.

Note, the OS X "preview" application has Acrobat Reader code embedded in it.  But uninstalling Adobe Acrobat doesn't affect the preview app.

For me, once I removed the acrobat reader, OS X automatically choses the preview app for .pdf files.

Ben near DC

• 4. Re: Reader 9.1 on Mac / embedded multimedia / uninstall
                Ben Chuang

I was looking at this problem because I was trying to help someone on www.superuser.com (its a question and answer site), and so I took the time to find the instructions and cross post them from here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408814.html

Then someone comes back to me and says: it's wrong. So I confirm it's wrong. I go to that page, create an Adobe account, comment on the page, and days later I get a note that says:

Hi Ben Chuang,

We approved your comment posted to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408814.html on 08/03/2009.

For additional assistance, you may also visit the appropriate Adobe forum (http://www.adobe.com/support/forums) or contact Adobe Technical Support (http://www.adobe.com/support/).

Feel free to write more comments, offer tips, and submit helpful links.

Thanks for participating in the Adobe community and keep on commenting,

The Adobe Community Help Team

So, I go back to the page I posted on, and I find my comment was actually deleted.

So, I followed the link here, and then found this thread. What next?