9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 6:52 AM by sbhara

Very Unique requirement - UI to UI integration using Flex - Can you help ?

Dear Flex Gurus,

We have a very unique requirement from a project iam currently working and I need your help by giving me the inputs on the feasibility.  If it is feasible, We would like to understand conceptually how we can achieve this.

We have a Java swing client (legacy system) which we use for entering some transactions(orders). It is also called a JNLP client.

This JNLP client is specific to a store i.e when we login we need to pass on a parameter (store no) and the system would download the jar that is relevant for this store and install. If i need to logon to another store, i have to repeat the same again.

We are currently building a new application to integrate with this Java legacy application. We came to know that we will not getting the required services to integrate . so, this is an alternative that we are trying to check the feasibility to integrate UI to UI.

So, this is a workaround we trying to assess to launch specific client of of a legacy system based on the store number from the new application.We basically wanted to see if Flex can help us create a wrapper for all these clients and give some kind of unique id,

and open that exact specific client which is already running.

Please let us know  and appreciate your time.

Thanks

Sure.B

• 1. Re: Very Unique requirement - UI to UI integration using Flex - Can you help ?
          Michael Borbor Level 4

Sure could you be a bit more especific with "Flex can help us create a wrapper"? and  "open that exact specific client which is already running?" What do you mean I don't get it.

• 2. Re: Very Unique requirement - UI to UI integration using Flex - Can you help ?
            Level 1

Thanks for the reply Michael! Appreciate it!

"open that exact specific client which is already running?"   > When the user comes in the morning, they would login to multiple clients  i.e one client for each store. They login to this new application (which originally suppose to be integrated with the legacy using webservices) and based on the store they working, they wanted to see the client of this legacy system specific to that store.

Flex can help us create a wrapper"?  > We wanted to see if we can  use flex to create a wrapper and launch each of these windows inside flex and assign a unique reference id.So, that it can handle each widow separately.

• 3. Re: Very Unique requirement - UI to UI integration using Flex - Can you help ?
              Michael Borbor Level 4

sbhara wrote:

Thanks for the reply Michael! Appreciate it!

"open that exact specific client which is already running?"   > When the user comes in the morning, they would login to multiple clients  i.e one client for each store. They login to this new application (which originally suppose to be integrated with the legacy using webservices) and based on the store they working, they wanted to see the client of this legacy system specific to that store.

Flex can help us create a wrapper"?  > We wanted to see if we can  use flex to create a wrapper and launch each of these windows inside flex and assign a unique reference id.So, that it can handle each widow separately.

Ok tell me if I get it "open..." What you want is a Flex App that loads a legacy app inside Flex?

• 4. Re: Very Unique requirement - UI to UI integration using Flex - Can you help ?
                Level 1

Thanks again for the help Michael! for patiently understanding my requirement and trying to help.

Flex App should actually read use a parameter (store no) and invoke the corresponding legacy FNLP client specific to that store.

• 5. Re: Very Unique requirement - UI to UI integration using Flex - Can you help ?
                  Michael Borbor Level 4

Now I think I get it, What you want is that a Flex app reads a parameter and based on this parameter your Flex app should communicate with your server and send this parameter and so your server will open a new tab or windows and load the so called legacy app.

Flex can communicate with Java without a doubt, well Flex can communicate with pretty much everything. A flex app could generate some soft of unique id, a flex app could store some data in sharedObject but that's a limited option. But as far as I know Flex cannot load inside a Flex app a Java app, as you know Flex is ment to be a view layer.

If you want we can chat at alexandercar    @  hotmail.com

• 6. Re: Very Unique requirement - UI to UI integration using Flex - Can you help ?
                    Level 1

Summarizing the issue for more help..

A single user may have the need to log on to multiple stores, and each log in will result in another jar being downloaded from the server and run on the user’s system. Once the user is done logging in, there could be as many as 4-5 of these java applications running on the user’s computer. Is it possible to for Flex to keep track of these java apps (each of which appear as “javaw.exe” in task manager), and pop up the appropriate app based on a gesture from the user?

• 7. Re: Very Unique requirement - UI to UI integration using Flex - Can you help ?
                      HyderAlamgir

I've posted a simple diagram showing how it can be done.

As far as I know, Flex cannot directly communicate with executable java files. You'll need to write gateway classes to allow Flex to interface with your apps.

• 8. Re: Very Unique requirement - UI to UI integration using Flex - Can you help ?
                        Richard_Abbott Level 3

Sure,

as has already been said, I don't think Flex can load a Java applet inside the Flex part. However, Flex can communicate with the DOM via the ExternalInterface methods, and a number of us have done things like call DIV or IFRAME DOM elements forward in the z-order of the page. An example that springs to mind is where a DIV acts as a container for some HTML which cannot easily be rendered within the various Flex components (as you probably know, these heavily restrict what HTML tags can be used). So a selection within the Flex app calls via ExternalInterfacesome JavaScript which then loads the DIV appropriately and brings it forward. I've done a page where the user makes a choice of a translated passage in Flex, and the actual translation is then loaded and brought forward on a DIV like this.

Now, to your point. The ExternalInterfaceand JavasScript calls can take parameters, and it seems to me quite possible that you could use these parameters to select the specific Java applet you have in mind. If that sounds a promising approach I or others can easily point you to some code for making use of ExternalInterfacelike this.

All the best,

Richard

• 9. Re: Very Unique requirement - UI to UI integration using Flex - Can you help ?
                          Level 1

Thanks for the reply Hyder!

Iam not able to open the attachment though. It is still showing as Queued  "JNLP.jpg (104.3 K) QUEUED "