6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2008 7:39 PM by kathydavie

CSS Popup Menus in DW

kathydavie Level 1
      I've created a side navigation bar with a couple of popup menus in Fireworks CS3 (using a Mac running Leopard 10.5.4) and then exported it all into Dreamweaver. Where I keep getting lost is how do I set up an external stylesheet for the navigation?

At first, I dragged the nav bar into each page of my site but that's just stupid. I'd much rather create a CSS sheet for the navigation so I can take advantage of the updatability of CSS. I've been through the lynda.com tutorials on navigation creation and it all gets rather vague on how to actually use these imports IN DW.

At the moment, I've saved the Fireworks navigation bar in my CSS folder but when it finally dawned on me that I could simply do the <link href.. bit in the head tag, I couldn't find a CSS file to link to.

I'd really appreciate it if someone would tell me where I'm being stupid...????!
        • 1. Re: CSS Popup Menus in DW
          Level 7
          It's a mistake to create functional menus in FWs.

Create your images in FWs and all the CSS and HTML in dreamweaver or some
          other CSS programme (Top Style).

It is possible to build some functionality in FWs but this is for
          demonstration purposes only.

Peter
          Fireworks
          | CS3 (using a Mac running Leopard 10.5.4) and then exported it all into
          | Dreamweaver. Where I keep getting lost is how do I set up an external
          | stylesheet for the navigation?
          |
          | At first, I dragged the nav bar into each page of my site but that's just
          | stupid. I'd much rather create a CSS sheet for the navigation so I can
          take
          | advantage of the updatability of CSS. I've been through the lynda.com
          | tutorials on navigation creation and it all gets rather vague on how to
          | actually use these imports IN DW.
          |
          | At the moment, I've saved the Fireworks navigation bar in my CSS folder
          but
          | when it finally dawned on me that I could simply do the <link href.. bit
          in the
          | head tag, I couldn't find a CSS file to link to.
          |
          | I'd really appreciate it if someone would tell me where I'm being
          | stupid...????!
          |

• 2. Re: CSS Popup Menus in DW
            kathydavie Level 1
            What's the point of Fireworks then? Why does FW require URLs? If it's possible to paste the file into each page, why isn't it possible to create a single updatable stylesheet?
            • 3. Re: CSS Popup Menus in DW
              Level 7
              You can produce websites quickly with 'some' functionality, however it is
              likely to break and isn't rock solid. FWs is a graphics programme, perfect
              for creating the graphics you need for your website, or doing quick mockups
              for clients to approve/disapprove. It is not designed to create working
              websites, but is IMO outstanding in creating the graphics as far as what
              your website could look like. Because something is possible doesn't mean you
              should do it.

If you search through the various threads you will find several people
              asking similar questions to yours.

Peter
              possible to paste the file into each page, why isn't it possible to create a
              single updatable stylesheet?

• 4. Re: CSS Popup Menus in DW
                kathydavie Level 1
                Bummer...this is the first time I've ever been able to create a drop-down menu that actually worked...
                • 5. Re: CSS Popup Menus in DW
                  Level 7
                  Web dev can be a huge bummer. It just isn't a simple as many folks
                  think.I've learned a lot from http://projectseven.com/ great for an overall
                  view and a load of free info as well, as is http://www.communitymx.com/

Good luck.

Peter

"kathydavie" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:g8i3bq$enn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  | Bummer...this is the first time I've ever been able to create a drop-down
                  menu that actually worked...

• 6. Re: CSS Popup Menus in DW
                    kathydavie Level 1
                    Thank you Peter. I'll check them both out.

Kathy