when I click the "Video" button in the Capture section, PP crashes and disappears.
Clearly that shouldn't happen. At this point, I can't think of why that is, but fixing this is your best bet here.
I'll try the new version of quicktime (7.6) ans see if that helps.
Otherwise, I'm at a loss.
Perhaps this should go in another thread, but I'll post it here first:
What, if anything, am I missing by capturing to .dv in iMovie and importing to Premiere Pro?
Again, I'm really new. I used PP 1.5 and 2.0 on Windows periodically, but nothing close to regularly, so I'm used to importing as .avi.
I don't know much about .dv vs. .mov imports.
I believe Premiere will not import .dv files, so that may not be a viable solution.
This is actually quite strange (and starting to be a little annoying):
Capture Compression Settings:
DV/DVPRO NTSC - 16:9
- Output: 720x480 (1.2121)
- Expected: 720x480 (1.2121)
DV/DVPRO NTSC - 4:3
- Output: 720x480 (1.2121)
- Expected: 720x480 (0.9091)
It will not change to 4:3, regardless of whether you select 4:3 or 16:9... it simply doesn't do anything.
And, of course, everything's stretched, since I have a non-hd camera. I burned to DVD hoping it was just a Premiere view or something, but it's not.
I tried a few other capture compression settings:
None: This got the correct (0.9091) ratio, but of course the file was MASSIVE... 20+GB for about 10 minutes. No scene detect.
MPEG4: Also got the correct ratio, but dropped a bunch of frames while capturing. No scene detect.
h.264: Also got the correct ratio, but still no scene detect.
Given that at this point my primary focus is getting about 70 hours of home videos into the machine, I'd really prefer scene detect to work, and that only works so far with DV/DVPRO NTSC, but then of course the aspect ratio is a show stopper on that path.
I tried upgrading to the latest version of Quicktime (7.6), but it didn't change anything.
I've looked all over the quicktime preferences, and can't find related settings there.
I successfully imported .dv files, so that seems to work so far. I haven't tried anything past importing and dragging to a sequence, so I'm crossing my fingers that effects/transitions/edits/encore dynamic link all work.
We'll see. Didn't expect it to be so much work (I spent last week trying to get past startup crashes due to VST plugins). It wasn't nearly this much work when I was using Premiere Pro 1.5/2.0 on Windows a few years ago. No crashes or aspect ratio issues or anything.
Glad I upgraded from my Encore license so I can still switch over to the Windows bootcamp side and capture there. Seems an odd thing to have to do, but I'm mostly wanting to get these videos going, not troubleshoot.
I love it.
I successfully imported .dv files, so that seems to work so far.
Hmm. That's news. I didn't think those would work.