1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 10:47 AM by RossRitchey

Flash Movie Shows only on Ftp

Hi, I'm new here and new to flash. Anyway, here's my problem:

For some reason the flash movies I make only show up on our ftp (ex ftp.myname.com/flash.swf) and not on the http url. I spoke with our web hosting company and the customer service rep said what I was experiencing was 'due to the coding on the index page of your web site.' First off, I have no idea what that means and how that would possibly affect a separate page. If he is right then I have no idea how to fix it.

Can someone help me out?

• 1. Re: Flash Movie Shows only on Ftp
          RossRitchey Level 4

That sounds like a BS answer that your webhost customer service guy gave you.

There should be nothing that you can do, as a customer, to affect the server in such a way as to have the effect you are experiencing.  And, if possible, you would not have been able to do it without knowing.

It sounds like there is a setting set up incorrectly on the server (in IIS, or the parameters of the server type if it is a linux box).  They should have it set up so that the FTP site displays the same thing that is on the HTTP site.

Call them back and raise a stink.  Ask for clarification when they give you solutions that you don't understand, and ask them to escalate it if they can't give you more clarification. (ask to talk to their manager, and so on and so forth)