1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 1:04 PM by Steve Grisetti

Computer crashes whenever I try to burn DVD, record to mini DV

My computer crashes whenever I try to burn a DVD or record a mini DV.  I haven't tried any of the other options under 'Share.'

It will get through the initial phases alright, but when it gets to the actual burn or record phase, the computer shuts off; when I turn it back on, it tells me that it was a thermal issue (computer overheating).  But the computer feels cool to the touch, is well-ventilated with no dust on the fan screens, and the room is probably about 15-20C.  I've run the whole shebang in much hotter situations without shutdowns or other serious problems.

Once the computer shut down when I was watching a movie on Windows Media Player, and when restarted said it was a thermal issue, but that doesn't seem to be repeating itself like the problem with Premiere is.

I didn't have this problem at all before upgrading to Premiere Elements 7 a few months ago.

I'm runnig a PC on Windows XP on an Intel Pentium

CPU 2.66GHz

2.67 MHz, 504 MB of RAM

The hard disk has 74.2 GB free space, 158 GB used.

My video files are stored on a LaCie external drive with 135 GB free, 329 GB used.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  If I can offer any more information that would help, please let me know.

Thanks,

Candace

• 1. Re: Computer crashes whenever I try to burn DVD, record to mini DV
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is likely and older computer and/or a laptop. I assume it runs XP. (Vista would kill it.)

A couple of things to do:

1) I'd add at least 500 meg more RAM. Premiere Elements 7 runs best with 2 gigs of RAM, but you can get by with as little as 1 gig. Less than that is asking for trouble.

2) I definitely recommend you update your computer. Make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime and make sure you manually go to Windows Update and press Custom to ensure you're getting ALL of the latest Windows updates.

Also, a free program from Secunia will make sure your other drivers are up to date. I discuss in the FAQs to the right of this program.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

You might also want to do some basic computer maintainance. I do this every week. The great, free program Advanced System Care will clean up your computer and tune up your registry in one sweep.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=0

3) Finally, ensure that your external drive is formatted NTFS and not FAT32 (as they come from the factory). FAT32 drives have a file size limit that will often choke video work.