8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2009 9:27 AM by Ned Murphy

whats wrong with my popup menu?

i made a pop up menu with 2 sub options. when i converted the sub options from static text to buttons the buttons dont work. i used a simple goto-scene 1 for button one using script assist. please help

• 1. Re: whats wrong with my popup menu?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you show the code that script assist produced, and describe what you intended for that code.  I don't use script assist... I grew to dislike it almost immediately several years ago, but seeing what the code is will help lead to a solution.

• 2. Re: whats wrong with my popup menu?
            Level 1

thanks,

its very simple

on (release) {

gotoAndPlay("book 1", 1);

}

when i click on the  suboptions they just  close the suboptions insted of taking you to scene: book1 frame 1  or scene: book 2 frame 1.

cannot figure out what i did wrong.

• 3. Re: whats wrong with my popup menu?

If the suboption buttons are inside a containing object, they cannot talk directly to the maintimeline as that code does.  You will need to target the main timeline as being the _parent of the containing object...

on (release) {

_parent.gotoAndPlay("book 1", 1);

}

• 4. Re: whats wrong with my popup menu?
                Level 1

wow, thank you so much. i will try it and see how it goes. for future ref how would i do that with script assist?

• 5. Re: whats wrong with my popup menu?
                  Level 1

my popup menu still wont play. does anyone know an upload site i can load it to so someone can take a look at it please. file size is 50 mb. thanks

• 6. Re: whats wrong with my popup menu?

I can't help you with the script assist end of things... I abandoned that long ago.  I find it much easier to control (and understand) what gets coded by doing it manually.

I know I won't be trying to download a 50 mb file. If you can't reduce that to a bare minimum for troubleshooting purposes, what you should do is describe how your movie is put together with respect to the problem area--what lives inside what where on the timeline.

• 7. Re: whats wrong with my popup menu?
                      Level 1

you're quite right that is a better idea.  you're very right about script assist. i'll never understand coding relying on that. its a photography site so there are a lot of images resulting in a large size.

if you go to www.lucaspictures.net  you can see the site in its current form. im trying to add additional images, scenes and popup menus. on the top right there's a menu option called book. i turned that button into a movie clip then built popup menu inside the movie clip (5 layers 20 frames each). i made 2 buttons for the suboptions. both buttons have keyframes in the hit states. rectangles around the text in the hit state. the buttons work in flash but dont work when i test or publish the movie. they pop up and close when you rollover and off their invisible button but the buttons dont take you to the scenes they are assigned to even when i added the parent target to the code? i been in my books for a week and cant find my error. thanks for your time 

• 8. Re: whats wrong with my popup menu?

It sounds like you have a few layers (or more) of _parent depth involved.  Your best bet at this point might be to just use _root to target the timeline.  Otherwise it would be a matter of stringing _parent._parent references until you hit the root timeline.  I prefer to avoid using _root myself, but you should try it.