4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2009 5:15 AM by Raymond James Marketing

Is "Embed Project Link & Copy" feature really gone from AE CS4!?

I've not yet updated any of my 3 After Effects machines to CS4 and have only temporarily used CS4 on other people's machines so I didn't yet realize this feature has been removed ... if it really has, I will never update beyond CS3 until there is an AE version with this feature again. An autosave function simply does not replace this feature and I'm not sure I can think of any other AE feature I would feel as strongly about ... maybe its ability to render video.

In fact, features that are being removed from AE should share equal time/space everywhere that users are inundated with announcements of new features ... anything else feels like a bait and switch.

I'm going to post my same comments on the Adobe AE forum, as well as send directly to Adobe as a "feature request" and I too encourage every AE user who relies heavily on this feature to do the same.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 1. Re: Is "Embed Project Link & Copy" feature really gone from AE CS4!?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes, this feature was removed for After Effects CS4. You can still embed the project link, but the ability to embed the project itself is gone.

This is listed in the UI changes from After Effects CS3 to After Effects CS4.

If you'd like to see this feature returned, filling out the feature-request form is the best way to accomplish this.

FWIW, we have put some features back after getting feedback of this sort. You may recall that the ability to convert text to masks was removed in After Effects CS3 (replaced by the ability to convert text to shapes, which we were sure that people would like better). This feature was put back in for After Effects CS4. 

We do talk to many customers and ask them about things like this before we make these decisions, but sometimes we don't happen to talk to the few people who depend on one particular feature or another. So thanks for bringing this up.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is "Embed Project Link & Copy" feature really gone from AE CS4!?
            Level 1

Thanks very much for explaining, Todd. I certainly don't mean to direct my outrage at you, but I would like to comment on a couple things you mentioned since you obviously have a much better chance than I of getting the AE team to consider some things they didn't seem to ...

[You can still embed the project link]

Retaining the embed project link yet removing the embed project copy seems counterintuitive since links are no more than a shortcut/alias to an existing project file (if there even is one in the same location on the same hard drive as when the .mov was rendered) while embedding the project retains an exact copy of the project as it was when the .mov was rendered. So, to this day, I can import any .mov I rendered from AE in 1999 and have the entire project exactly as it was and even re-render it if need be (even if the floppy drive the project file was on is now in a landfill somwhere). This may not matter to people who only have reasonable clients and/or only use AE to make 5 second title graphics, but when you have thosuands of projects ... with many hundreds of layers each ... some that were touched by various artists, there is simply no more relaible method for archiving and similar purposes.

[sometimes we don't happen to talk to the few people who depend on one particular feature or another.]

Since every AE user I know relies on this feature very heavily, it seems obvious that far too small of sample groups are being used for a program with so many users over such a long period of time. And, I really dont understand what's wrong with the good old ain't-broke-don't-fix approach. I'm certainly not suggesting that new features shouldn't be added to AE because "it ain't broke", but it's very hard to understand why features that helped the software become as widely adopted as it is are suddenly be removed without very compelling reasons.

[This is listed in the UI changes from After Effects CS3 to After Effects CS4]

By "equal time/space", I meant in pre-sale announcements, rather than buried in the fine print of post-sale help since this is third time a feature I relied on heavily has been removed with no warning (the one you mentioned is one of them, but the least significant to me since it was fairly new to begin with).

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Is "Embed Project Link & Copy" feature really gone from AE CS4!?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8
              I really dont understand what's wrong with the good old ain't-broke-don't-fix approach. I'm certainly not suggesting that new features shouldn't be added to AE because "it ain't broke", but it's very hard to understand why features that helped the software become as widely adopted as it is are suddenly be removed without very compelling reasons.

I certainly understand how it looks from outside: something was removed that would've taken no effort to maintain. But consider that that's not how software development often works. Actually, merely carrying a feature forward to the next version often takes some work---sometimes a lot of work. Because the people who add new features, fix bugs, and maintain the old features are the same people, you get more new features or fixes when some old, (apparently) unused features are removed.

Since every AE user I know relies on this feature very heavily, it seems obvious that far too small of sample groups are being used for a program with so many users over such a long period of time.

We try to maximize the benefit to the greatest number of real users. Sometimes we fail to get the balance right, and sometimes we don't get exactly the information that we need. It may be that this is an example where we got it wrong. That's why we have the feature-request form, so people can let us know.

By "equal time/space", I meant in pre-sale announcements, rather than buried in the fine print of post-sale help

Actually, we posted that document online on the day that After Effects CS4 was announced, three weeks before it went on sale. The marketing documents tend to only go into the top ten new features. In the case of After Effects, the best source of the nitty-gritty details is---I dare say---the After Effects Help document on the Web (or maybe my blog).

• 4. Re: Is "Embed Project Link & Copy" feature really gone from AE CS4!?
                Level 1

Todd,  You made some very good points that I probabaly hadn't considered adequately so thanks much for your always helpful replies.

I really hope it's feasible to return the Embed Project Copy feature since just not knowing about it is the only reason  I've ever heard over the years for any AE user to not use it religiously.