4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2009 5:22 PM by the_wine_snob

Why is no picture only sound from Nikon camera avi?

zslot

Sorry about my english.

If I import avi on XP I cant see the picture only hear the sound in Premiere Elements 7 (the frames are green). In Vista everything is fine or in xp with media player i can see the avi. The avi comes from Nikon Coolpix S200.

• 1. Re: Why is no picture only sound from Nikon camera avi?
          Paul_LS Level 4

What type of AVI is the video? There are many different types and Premiere Elements works best with DV-AVI's. As the video is from a stills camera I imagine the AVI is probably an MJPEG. You can determine the type of AVI using GSpot ( http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ ). You will probably either have to convert it to DV-AVI, using Windows MovieMaker for example ( http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0 ) or if the AVI is MJPEG then install an MJPEG codec. You could try this free one http://www.free-codecs.com/Motion_JPEG_Codec_download.htm .

• 2. Re: Why is no picture only sound from Nikon camera avi?
            zslot Level 1

Thank you for your answer.

Yes probably mjpeg like almost all digital stil camera.

This avi format working fine on vista with PRE 7 and not on XP. But that I cant understand how is it possible if Media player can play fine that means the codec not missing from the opsystem so why PRE7 on XP cant show the pictures only the sound.p

• 3. Re: Why is no picture only sound from Nikon camera avi?
              Paul_LS Level 4

It is a well known issue with Premiere Elements on WinXP that even though you may have an MJPEG codec on your system and you can play them in MediaPlayer that Premiere Elements can not access the MJPEG cocec and you get a black video. This has been reported many, many times in this forum. Solution is to reload an MJPEG codec or convert the video to DV-AVI.

• 4. Re: Why is no picture only sound from Nikon camera avi?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For an MJPEG CODEC, I normally recommend either the Morgan, or the MainConcept. However, it seems that the Morgan MJPEG CODEC does not work well with some Adobe programs. The MainConcept MJPEG CODEC seems to be the best solution, especially with some of the Nikon MJPEG files. This has seemed to fix issues with the new D-90's MJPEG files for most people.

Also, there is always the possibility that some program, installed later, will overwrite a good CODEC and cause things to no longer work. Since the MainConcept CODEC is sold (seems that it's about US$30), I'd keep a copy of the installation file handy (in my Downloaded Files\CODECs folder on my machine), so I could re-install it, should something mess up the installation. CODEC's can be a bit touchy, especially when they are used by an NLE application. Most players have an easier time with them (their priority settings, etc. do not seem to be that big an issue), while many NLE's will just fail to use them, if something goes amiss.

Good luck,

Hunt