3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2013 7:07 AM by the_wine_snob

Does Pre7 support BWF wave files?

Photoscout Level 1

I understand a little about BWF files, but I was looking at purchasing a recorder that only records to BWF format. I was wondering if Premiere Elements 7 supports BWF files or will I need to work the files in another software program before Pre can use it.

• 1. Re: Does Pre7 support BWF wave files?
          Paul_LS Level 4

PE7 will not import BWF files. However try renaming the extension to .wav and see if it imports them. Otherwise you will need a BWF to WAV converter.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does Pre7 support BWF wave files?
            gorranlove

Hi,

BWF, short from Broadcast Wave Format, is an extension of the popular Microsoft WAVE audio format. BWF is the recording format of most file-based non-linear digital recorders used for motion picture, radio and television production. BWF is a WAV audio format to a certain degree. The only difference between a BWF and a "normal" WAV is the extended information in the file header (Bext-Chunk, Coding-History, etc...), which also limits the compatibility of BWF files. BWF is incompatible with Mac computers, most media players, portable devices or editing software.

To get rid of the file compatibility limitation, a recommended way is to convert BWF to WAV,WMA,MP3 and so on.

Recommend Bigasoft Audio Converter. This converter can solve the issue for you.

• 3. Re: Does Pre7 support BWF wave files?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For any Audio conversion, I strongly recommend the output to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, as that will NOT introduce any compression (loss in fidelity), and will Import perfectly into all versions of Adobe Premiere.

There can be some reasons to use WMA, but I see that as an output format, where one needs to get multi-channel Audio (say DD 5.1 SS) into one file. I use that to output a file, to be used in Adobe Audition, and then the Minnetonka SurCode DTS Encoder, for inclusion into a DVD. Note: in that situation, the resultant DTS file will have to be a "supplemental Audio Stream," as the DVD-Video specs. do not allow for it as a "primary Audio Stream." For DVD-Video, the only allowed primary Audio Streams are PCM/WAV, or DD AC3, for NTSC, with the addition of MPEG-Audio for PAL, but that is falling out of favor.

Hunt