5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2009 6:23 AM by RossRitchey

Exporting a flash movie for email

CNewt09

Hi and help!

I am creating a fairly basic animated invite using flash that i wish to send out to various people through an email. Can someone please advise me how i would save/export the movie i create so when someone opens the email it will automatically play. This would need to be viewed on both Macs and PCs.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Exporting a flash movie for email
          RossRitchey Level 4

Most email softwares don't support using Flash inline.

Your best bet is to send a link to a page with your Flash.

• 2. Re: Exporting a flash movie for email
            CNewt09 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

In which case, do you know how/what software creates the animated images, that I have in the past, received via email?

• 3. Re: Exporting a flash movie for email
              RossRitchey Level 4

If you have received animated images in the past, they were almost assuredly animated gifs

While it is possible that you are using a software that does allow for SWFs inline, most mail softwares do not.

In order to display a SWF inline in an email, you would need to send a full HTML page.  You could set it up so that the SWF displays if the user can load it, otherwise a link appears to go to the page online.

As for softwares to create animated gifs - try Photoshop (or ImageReady if you have pre-CS3 versions)

• 4. Re: Exporting a flash movie for email
                CNewt09 Level 1

Thanks again Ross.

In which case, how are animated gifs created and am i not able to export a flash video as an animated gif. I believe there is an option to do so.

• 5. Re: Exporting a flash movie for email
                  RossRitchey Level 4

I am probably not the best person to ask about animated gif creation, as I've only created a few in the past.

The only way I have ever created an animated gif was using ImageReady (In pre-CS days) to line up still images with some very basic transitions.  ImageReady has been integrated into Photoshop as of CS3.

You can export an animated gif out of Flash as well.  I fear that the animated gif renderer will work like the AVI renderer and not play back MovieClips on export.  So I would put all animation on the main timeline.  I also believe that animated gifs cannot carry audio.