27 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 7:19 AM by TLC-IT

?? Cannot Fill Form

I received a form from Shell USA for compensation.

The form is fillable: the security setting tells me that it is allowable to fill. The pointer can be directed to fillable fields, but I cannot type anything.I tried many diffeernt methods in vain.
      I have Windows XP and Adobe reader 9.

I can copy the form in Word and fill it, but I cannot then return it in PDF.

Since this seems a very common problem there must be a simple solution ( by the way I am not going to sownload 800Mbytes of PDF adobe professional!

Any help would be welcome,

marco

• 1. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MARCOFABBRI wrote:

The form is fillable: the security setting tells me that it is allowable to fill.

Ignore security. All that is telling you is that "if" the form was actually fillable, then you would be allowed to fill it without a password.

Select the hand tool then mouse over the form fields. Does it turn to an i-beam? Probably not. That means it contains no fillable form fields.

• 2. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form

Currently working on this problem myself.  Not sure why graffiti keeps posting that the form is wrong.  This is demonstratably false.  I have several users with adobe 9.1 who were complaining they could not fill out forms.  To investigate I got an older laptop up and running that still had reader 8.1 and I was able to complete the forms in question without problem.  Only in 9.1 was I suddenly unable to do so.  Therefore, the update has obviously changed something and it is NOT the forms.  The forms may need some adjustment since the update, but please don't tell me the forms aren't fillable since 8.1 says they are.  I haven't found the solution to this problem yet, still working on it.  Just wanted to let people know that this is a 9.1 problem.  Not a form problem.  May be a simple as a setting somewhere, but I'll let you know if I figure it out.

• 3. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
              Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you fill the form from Shell USA?

• 4. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                Level 1

Sorry, should have been more specific.  the paticular form I am currently working with can be found here. 

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/forms/sav1522.pdf

9.1 will not allow you to complete the fill in fields, 8.1 will.

• 5. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form

rwilliams41 wrote:

Not sure why graffiti keeps posting that the form is wrong.  This is demonstratably false.

Maybe in your circumstance it is. And maybe you can attach a PDF that you're having problems with.

But, 90% of the time people come in here wanting to fill a form that is not fillable, so we start with the easy answer first.

My answer mainly says to ignore what security says. If you notice, you can open ANY PDF and the security will say that form filling is allowed or not even though it is not and never has been a form.

Until we establish that this is indeed a filable form, there is no other answer to give so, maybe help us out here and post your file instead of saying I'm wrong without you having all the details?

• 6. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                    Level 1

Agreed and I apologize.  I am sure in many instances you are correct and there are simply to many different sorts of PDF's out there for me to make such a broad statement and I'm sorry.  However I did find the solution to my particular issue, so it may help those who have been updated to 9.1     9.1 opens documents that are formated for pdf/a standards in pdf/a automaticaly.  This version of the form does not allow form completion.  So for those of you who could fill in before, but now can't now, go to edit/preferences/documents, and set "view documents in pdf/a mode" to never.  This should solve your problem.  Once I did this the form fields showed up properly and I was able to complete them.  (note that a information bar will show above your document saying "you are viewing this document in PDF/A mode".  If you see this you need to change the setting mentioned above to be able to complete forms.  Hope this helps and Graffiti, sorry again, just frustrated with this update and all it's quirks.

• 7. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form

Apology accepted and I DO understand the frustration. Just keep in mind (and I'm not just speaking to you but rather to everyone), for every seemingly identical problem, there could be many different solutions. I've been coming in here for 10 years (ignore the 2006 join date. That's something this lousy new forum software added) or more and tend to swing toward the simplest, most common solution so as not to waste time. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not but it's a place to start.

Glad you got your issue taken care of.

• 8. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                        Level 1

not yet

• 9. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                          Level 1

Do you also have this form? At the moment, if I cannot open it in PDF, I can

copy it on Word , fill it, ( I checked that I can do this) and then attach

word to my E-mail

• 10. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form

Switch off the PDF/A mode and you can fill the form sav1522.pdf with Adobe Reader 9.1.

• 11. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                              Level 1

Sorry to bother you again, but how do you switch off the PDF/A mode?

• 12. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form

Open the Preferences of Adobe Reader. Select category 'Documents'. Change the PDF/A View Mode to 'Never'.

• 13. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                  Level 1

Thanks, I did it, but it did not work for me.

• 14. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form

Can you post the form?

• 15. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                      Level 1

Please find the attache form in PDF

• 16. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form

I can't see any attachment.

• 17. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                          Level 1

Hope you get this one!

• 18. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form

No hope.

• 19. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                              Level 1

Thanks for all your efforts. I'll use Word!

• 20. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                                MWSpringbok

Hello.

I went into Edit/Preferences/Document and changed the Pdf/A Mode setting to Never and I remain unable to fill in the form fields. In fact, after making this change, still no form fields became visable on the document and the curser will not move to where the fields should be.  Yes, this is getting frustrating.  I have attached the Pdf I am attempting to fill in.  If you have any luck, please let me know.  I appreciate your help.  Missy Wade

• 21. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                                  Level 1

Hi,

I have tried all suggestions without success. I resorted to copying the form

with COPY and pasting it on a Word format document which I attached to my

E-mail, replacing the original PDF form.

• 22. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                                    MWSpringbok Level 1

Hi Marco.  I've tried to copy and paste a pdf into word and I lose all of the document formatting even if I do a paste special into word.  When you create the copy of the pdf document do you do something special to maintain the integrity of the document's format prior to pasting into word?

PS: I am using Office 2007 on Vista Ultimate and Reader 9.1.

Thank you.

• 23. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                                      Level 1

HI,

I loose some formatting, but I can adjust it with a bit of editing.

Marco

• 24. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                                        monet56@gmail.com

2009/5/1, MARCOFABBRI <forums@adobe.com>:

>

HI,

>

I loose some formatting, but I can adjust it with a bit of editing.

>

Marco

>

• 25. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                                          MWSpringbok Level 1

OK. Thank you for your help.  Sure seems like a PITA for something that should be relatively simple...but, I am neither a programmer nor government employee.

• 26. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form

You can't fill the form EmploymentApplication.rev08 with Adobe Reader. There are no form fields. You can print and fill the form.

• 27. Re: ?? Cannot Fill Form
                                                              TLC-IT Level 2

As I commented in other threads, I researched the idea of deploying a web-fillable form in the most current versions of Adobe Acrobat and Reader ... and found it to be unreliable and intermittent (therefore, utterly useless) in its behavior.  Adobe Reader would randomly say that "the document has been changed, blah blah, contact the author for an updated copy," and refuse to allow the form to be filled.  But if you reload the page two or three times, suddenly it would work.

Obviously, this behavior is intentionally caused by "yet another one of Adobe's strange we-own-the-world license checks," poorly and incorrectly implemented.  We cannot deploy a solution to hundreds of stores that is not as perfectly reliable in Reader as it is on the developer machines that use Acrobat.  Therefore, I quickly recommended that my proposal should be abandoned in favor of ordinary web-based input screens ... a technology which we know to actually be reliable.

I would very frankly recommend that you do the same:  it doesn't actually work.  It had great promise, and technically the implementation is obviously solid, but Adobe's lawyers (and insufficient software quality-assurance) renders it non-viable.  (It is also worth observing that Adobe says absolutely nothing to a software developer about what sort of license-controls they actually have in place.  There's even talk in these forums about a "usage count" that drops-dead after 400 or 500 iterations.)

The "good" news is that this saved our company quite a lot of Adobe Acrobat software-upgrade expense:  we don't need to buy and deploy new product to take advantage of a feature that doesn't actually meet practical business requirements.

This is, by the way, not a "rant."  Business is business, and the only way to win the game is to actually cross that finish-line first.