5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 9:36 AM by Ed.Macke

Layers in Elements 7 ?

pixelpigment

Hello! Are there layers in Premiere Elements 7 (like for example Photoshop)? So that I have the possibility to un-click an effect at a later stage. Regards.

• 1. Re: Layers in Elements 7 ?
          Paul_LS Level 4

No layers as such in Premiere Elements. But you can undo applied effects by going to the clip's Properties Panel by selecting the small icon to the left of the slider above the timeline/sceneline or by right clicking on the clip and selecting Properties. Here you can see the applied effects and delete them.

Some motion effect presets like "picture-in-picture" or "pan and scanning" apply keyframes to the Motion properties Position and Scale to achieve the effect. If you open the Properties panel for the clip, you can simply click to select the effect (Motion, in this case) and click the Reset button in the lower right corner of the panel.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Layers in Elements 7 ?
            pixelpigment Level 1

Many thanks, Paul! I have found the way to edit hue, saturation, brightness, contrast, etc (is that what you meant?), but is there a way of getting rid of an effect (like "Old Film" or "Black & White") which I chose to begin with and now, after several hours of editing want to delete? Regards.

• 3. Re: Layers in Elements 7 ?
              Paul_LS Level 4

Yes, you delete these effects as I explained (maybe not too clearly) in my post above. You open the Properties panel for the clip (described above) and select the effect from the list by clicking on it. Then right click and select clear and the effect will be gone.

• 4. Re: Layers in Elements 7 ?
                pixelpigment Level 1

Fantastic! I have just tried it and it worked, just as you said. I just couldn't find the effect at first, because I had not selected any effect (ahem!). Cheers, Paul, many thanks for your patience!

• 5. Re: Layers in Elements 7 ?
                  Ed.Macke Level 3

Maybe this would help? From the PRE manual...

Remove an effect
                  1 In the Timeline, select the clip containing the effect that you want to delete.

2 In the Effects view, select the effect at the top of the panel, and then click the Trash bin.

Temporarily disable an effect in a clip
                  You can disable a video or audio effect so that you can preview the movie without the effect applied.
                  1 Select a clip to preview in the Timeline or Sceneline.
                  2 In the Effects view, click the Edit Effects button to open the Properties view.
                  3 In the Properties view, do either of the following:

• Click the eye icon next to the effect. To disable or enable all the effects on a clip, hold down Alt as you click an
                  eye icon.
                  • Select the effect, right-click and deselect Effect Enabled. To reenable the effect, right-click and select Effect Enabled

Although it's not specifically mentioned, "temporary" means until it's specifically re-enabled. If you export your movie or burn a DVD with it disabled, it won't show up on your final product.

I like to use the "temporary disable" rather than "remove". Remove means delete, so that once it's gone, it's gone. Disable means it's gone, but if you change your mind later you can just re-enable it and it's back with all your carefully crafted properties and keyframes intact.

1 person found this helpful