9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 2:00 PM by claudef

Orient to path check box not clickable

yvandaneault

I am using a classic tween in CS4 with a clip moving on a free form path (guide) that I drew with the Pencil and smoothed with the Selection tool. When I scrub the playhead the clip moves on the path but when I go to the first frame of the animation and open Properties, the Orient to path checkbox is not clickable. Is there something special that I have to do in CS4 to make that option available? It used to work all the time in CS3.

Yvan

• 1. Re: Orient to path check box not clickable
          David Stiller Level 2

Yvan,

I probably need more information from you, because when I test what you've described, the "Orient to path" checkbox works just fine for me.  Have you snapped your symbol to either end of the guide in the first and last frames of your classic tween?

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS4 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/dpsFoundationFlashCS4
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Orient to path check box not clickable
            yvandaneault Level 1

Yes I have David. And I have re-tried the process several times this morning starting with a brand new file every time. I tried changing the Publish settings for another version of the player, drawing the guides with different tools (Pen, pencil, free transform), nothing makes the box "checkable" even though it is not dimmed in the Properties.

Motion on a guide is something I have done hundreds of times in the past with the other Flash versions, without any problem.

I'm really puzzled with this one. Not sure what else to tell you!

Yvan

• 3. Re: Orient to path check box not clickable
              David Stiller Level 2

Yvan,

Wow, interesting.  Well, this is odd, isn't it?

I'll take a look at your FLA file, if you like (and if you're able to post it somewhere).  It looks as if the forum still doesn't accept .fla attachments, so you could try renaming your FLA file as .txt and attempting the attachment -- or uploading it somewhere else -- or, if you prefer to keep it private, visit my website (quip.net) and use the contact form to send me a note.  I'll reply back, and then you can reply again with a normal attachment.

Obviously, I have no idea beforehand if I'll spot anything, but I'm happy to give it a shot.  For the record, Flash CS4 does still support "classic" motion guides, complete with "orient to path," so I'm truly interested to see what's going on in your particular FLA.

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert
              Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/

• 4. Re: Orient to path check box not clickable
                yvandaneault Level 1

David, It is getting weirder as I go along...

Today, I re-opened the same starting file as yesterday and redrew the motion path and re-applied the classic tween as I did several times yesterday. I tried clicking the Orient to Path check box a few times, would not let me click it. I scrubbed the playhead a few times and noticed that the clip WAS oriented to the path. Rechecked the Properties and now I notice that the OTP box IS now checked. However, if I want to un-check it, it will not let me. Also I notice that there is is scale checkbox right underneath the OTP; not sure what that one is for, but I could never un-check it.

Anyway, I did put a zipped fla on my mac server at:

homepage.mac.com/danycom/finnie-final.fla.zip

I would truly appreciate if you could have a look at it and let me know if you found anything.

Thanks a lot!

Yvan

• 5. Re: Orient to path check box not clickable
                  David Stiller Level 2

Yvan,

Love your artwork! 

So ... I'm afraid my answer isn't going to be helpful to you.  I opened up your FLA file in Flash CS4, selected frame 1 of the Finnie layer, and saw that the Property inspector behaves exactly as it should.  I can change the Rotate dropdown, I can select and deselect "Orient to path", "Scale", and the other checkboxes -- and for all of the above, my timeline responds normally.

> Also I notice that there is is scale checkbox right underneath

> the OTP; not sure what that one is for, but I could never

> un-check it.

The Scale checkbox allows scale changes (when selected) or omits them (when unselected).  If you had wanted the fish to get larger, for example, while moving toward the left, you might use the Transform panel or the Free Transform tool to increase its scale in the final keyframe.  With the Scale checkbox selected, the tween will display that change in size; otherwise, the tween will ignore that particular change (but display the other manipulations).

David Stiller
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/

• 6. Re: Orient to path check box not clickable
                    yvandaneault Level 1

Thanks David,

I guess my application installation might be faulty. The Adobe updater tells me my version is up to date. I will try to create other documents and test the file on other computers to see if the problem persists.

Yvan

• 7. Re: Orient to path check box not clickable
                      claudef

Hi,

I have the same problem on 2 computers, one running Mac OS 10.5.8 and the other on Win 7. My version on flash 4 is 10.0.2.

Any solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Claude

• 8. Re: Orient to path check box not clickable
                        jendehaan Level 4

I'm not too sure what might be causing this to happen on your machine - perhaps it's something to do with the workspace. Try switching to few different default workspaces and see if this fixes the issue.  If not, could you provide a link to both the FLA and your workspace XML (found in the configuration folder, User > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Flash CS4 > en > Configuration > Workspace.)

• 9. Re: Orient to path check box not clickable
                          claudef Level 1

Hi,

That solve the problem. Many thanks.

Claude

Le 10-03-23 à 14:44, jdehaan a écrit :

I'm not too sure what might be causing this to happen on your 

machine - perhaps it's something to do with the workspace. Try 

switching to few different default workspaces and see if this fixes 

the issue.  If not, could you provide a link to both the FLA and 

your workspace XML (found in the configuration folder, User > 

Library > Application Support > Adobe > Flash CS4 > en > 

Configuration > Workspace.)

>