10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 1:11 PM by holografer

In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf

holografer

Using Flash CS4 and having the Flash plug-in ver 10 on my PC, the generated html file will not play the swf in the browser.

I noticed that the active-x javascript is now included in the header as well as the javascript portion in the body tag.

But it won't play.  I get the typical blank window in IE with the "X" in the upper left corner.

I don't have this problem with Flash CS3.

Any ideas what may be going on?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf
          RossRitchey Level 4

Did you include the generated JS file with your upload?

There should be a total of 3 files to upload:

SWF
          HTML
          AC_RunActiveContent.JS

• 2. Re: In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf
            holografer Level 1

Flash is not generating the AC_RunActiveContent.JS file.

This was automatic in CS3.  Is there something I have to turn on

or something else?  Thank you.

• 3. Re: In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf
              RossRitchey Level 4

I have noticed that it tries to put the AC_RunActiveContent.js in a separate folder for some reason.  Open the HTML in Dreamweaver (or a text editor if you don't have Dreamweaver) and check the source for the script tag that includes the JS.  It will give you the path in there.  If you see "../" that means "go out a folder"

So

"../../scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js"

means

"Start at where the FLA and HTML are, and go up 2 levels, then into the scripts folder"

• 4. Re: In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf
                holografer Level 1

I forgot to mention I've already done that and can not find a reference to it anywhere.

I even used the Find function in Notepad as well as carefully looking through the code.

I've attached the html file.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf
                  holografer Level 1

Thanks Ross for all your suggestions.

I had a co-worker create swf and html files using his CS4 with the Flash only default.html setting

and he also did not get the AC_RunActiveContent.js file generated.  Looking closer at the html

code that's generated, the AC_RunActiveContent.js code is actually generated inside the <head>

tag in the html file.  Therefore, it does not need the external .js file.  I've closed compared the .js

code with the html script code and it is identical.  I've even stripped out the AC_RunActiveContent.js code

in the html and pointed to the external AC_RunActiveContent.js and it still doesn't work.

Could it possibly be because I'm using IE  version 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236?

I found this article on Adobe's support site:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=7c29e252&sliceId=2

Could this have anything to do with it?

Thank you.

• 6. Re: In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf
                    RossRitchey Level 4

Ah, yes, I forgot about CS4 doing that.  I haven't switched over yet, so I forget that they embed the JS in the HTML now.

I doubt that the ActiveX control junk has anything to do with this.  Have you tested in other browsers?  Is it only your version of IE6 that it doesn't work in?

I may suggest building a new HTML and using SWFObject to embed.  If you go to http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/ you can download the JS file, as well as an app to build the HTML for you.  The CS4 AC_RunActiveContent is based off of the SWFObject codebase, but I find the method of the original much easier to use typically.

• 7. Re: In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf
                      holografer Level 1

It works fine in Firefox and Netscape 9.  I narrowed it down to the version of IE 6 I'm using.

Here at work I'm using version 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236.  At home, I'm

using version 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234.  The files work perfect at home.

I used to use the SWFObject code myself but when Adobe came out with the AC_RunActiveContent.js,

I liked that even better.

Unfortunately, here at work, we are not upgrading to IE 7 or 8 because of other in-house

online applications that haven't been upgraded to work with versions higher than 6.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and suggestions.

• 8. Re: In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf
                        RossRitchey Level 4

It is more likely that the ActiveX controller on your computer at work went corrupt on you.

If you want to test, go here; http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE to get a software that installs other versions of IE on the same computer.

Otherwise, I would try to delete (I know, it sounds bad but works) the following folder: "C:/Windows/Downloaded Program Files" - this contains all of the ActiveX controllers that IE uses.  By deleting it, you force IE to re-download the controllers, and this often fixes any Flash problems you may be having in IE.  It is a default troubleshooting step at my workplace.

If you feel that deleting a folder is a bad idea, then I would go through and COMPLETELY uninstall the Flash ActiveX (I think this includes some registry stuff) and re-install by downloading the EXE and running it.

Here is the technote on how to completely uninstall: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

To download the EXE for install:

1. go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

2. click the "Different Operating System or Browser?" link towards the top of the page

3. Select your Operating system, then browser - this will give you a link to the EXE

• 9. Re: In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf
                          joal123

I am having similar difficulty; mostly I am confused.

I want to open a flash video file in a frame within a webpage.

I have generated a Flash CS4 html and swf file. When loaded they play, but they play on a separate, full size web page, not in the frame where I want it.

I then generated FLV and F4V files but that doesn't work.

It appears that I need to insert the object and embed tags "for Flash Movies" in the html file.

Once I do that, do I go back to only putting in the html and swf files and create a link to the html file to bring up the video in the target frame?

What are the FLV files for?

• 10. Re: In Flash CS4 a generated html with swf file won't play swf
                            holografer Level 1

Yes, you have to put the object and embed tags for your swf in the html file that occupies the target frame.

As for FLV files, these are used for "streaming" video and require the Flash Media Server software on your server so the FLV file will stream.  How did you put your video into the Flash timeline?  With Flash CS4, you either put a FLV file embedded as a movie clip on the timeline or you use the FLVPlayback component on the Flash timeline and point it to the FLV file using the component inspector.  AVI or MOV files can no longer be embedded on the CS4 Flash timeline like they could in CS3.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.