6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 11:12 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Pixel Aspect Ratio Calculator - For Web/Square Pixel Conversion

Hey all -

I wrote a super-simple program in flash for our in-house use that I think might be useful to people out there all the time.

It's annoying to have to bust out the calculator whenever you're working with pixel aspect ratios, especially now that we're delivering to the web - your beautiful 16:9 NTSC project converted into flash without changing the pixel aspect ratio is squished!

This program allows you to put in your dimensions, choose whether it's 16:9 or 4:3, then it will give you the proper output dimensions for a different pixel aspect ratio, most useful when you're going to square pixels.

http://www.jkjklol.com/calc/

Here's hoping it saves time in your workflow like it has mine. Let me know if you see any bugs!

-Mike

• 1. Re: Pixel Aspect Ratio Calculator - For Web/Square Pixel Conversion
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's an interesting calculator. I think you're math is a bit off. A 720 X 486 widescreen NTSC comp is either 872 X 486 pixels or 864 X 486 depending on whether you're using CS3 or CS4. It looks like your calculator is always using a 1.2 PAR for the source footage.

By far the easiest way to render square pixel movies from your non square pixel comps is to create a new square pixel comp sized appropriately for your output considering compression, pixel dimensions (some codecs are very picky) and just drop your non-square pixel comp or footage into the square pixel comp, scale it to fit making sure that x and y scale values are identical, and render. In many cases, especially with MPEG codecs, you may have to crop the original a bit.

BTW, there are many more frame aspect ratios than 16:9 and 4:3, and there are equally as many pixel aspect ratios.

• 2. Re: Pixel Aspect Ratio Calculator - For Web/Square Pixel Conversion
            Level 1

Of course that's all true. But when you're outputting for client preview 10-15 3-minute videos a day, you don't have time in you workflow to bring After Effects into it. In this case, the Adobe Media Encoder (or compressor) is necessary, and that doesn't provide you with any of the helping hands that After Effects does.

The purpose of the calculator is not to replace the functions of After Effects - of course, After Effects is fantastic with dealing with pixel aspect ratios, and there's no way I could equal that functionality. It is merely to supplement a high-pressure production workflow where putting things through After Effects is not a viable option (I'm rendering! ).

• 3. Re: Pixel Aspect Ratio Calculator - For Web/Square Pixel Conversion
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Adobe Media Encoder will make PAR conversions internally. Drop your nonsquare footage into the Cue, then pick an export preset. Make sure you're set to your desired output size and the PAR is set to 1.0 and you're good to go. I have a dozen or so custom presets setup for different applications.

• 4. Re: Pixel Aspect Ratio Calculator - For Web/Square Pixel Conversion
                Level 1

That's neat! Rick, by all means, I will not force you to use it.

• 5. Re: Pixel Aspect Ratio  - For Web/Square Pixel Conversion
                  feebee45 Level 1

Hello,

I am using Premiere Pro CS4. Ive recently posted other issues but need to move on to the next project in order to save time. I have another question.

I have a movie that is not square pixels - it is .9091

I want to export for vimeo - which says that it really should be square pixels. I also use powerpoint stills in my video - which are square pixels.

Can I just export and select square pixels to render, or do i need to change my sequence of the video? Will this display properly on the web? I am NOT using this video at all for broadcast on TV or anything. Web only. Please help.

Thank you,

Amanda

• 6. Re: Pixel Aspect Ratio  - For Web/Square Pixel Conversion
                    Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

If you pick one of the web-oriented format/presets from the Adobe Media Encoder options (for example, FLV format with the "Flash 8 - web large, NTSC Source" preset, it will automatically convert it to a square pixel equivalent for you. This is for Premiere Pro. In After Effects, the AME dialog will instruct you to make changes manually in the Output Module's Stretch settings.