13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2009 2:39 PM by Anti-M

What did I do now....

Anti-M

All of the sudden everytime I press RAM preview AE automatically saves...everytime... Did I change a setting somewhere?

TIA

• 1. Re: What did I do now....
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Are you holding "Command" (Mac) "Ctrl" (PC) down when you start your RAM preview?

• 2. Re: What did I do now....
            Anti-M Level 1

No...

• 3. Re: What did I do now....
              TimeRemapper Level 4

Try trashing your prefs.

• 4. Re: What did I do now....
                Anti-M Level 1

Thanks I have to trash my prefs about once an hour....to combat the HW acceleration problem so i don't think that's it.

• 5. Re: What did I do now....
                  Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Anti-M:

I am investigating the specific issue of HW acceleration being disabled because of the screensaver (and saying Remote Dekstop is the culprit).

BTW, is that a standard Windows screensaver you're using?

• 6. Re: What did I do now....
                    TimeRemapper Level 4

Do you happen to have any third-party input device (keyboard/mouse) software or hardware installed?

Anything that allows you to customize your keyboard functions, or remap common keys?

Any "intellipoint" type software installed?

• 7. Re: What did I do now....
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Do you have auto-save turned on? What version of After Effects are you running?

• 8. Re: What did I do now....
                        Anti-M Level 1

The Screensaver is controlled by IT, it simply locks the PC after 10 minutes of inactivity to be Sarbanes-Oxley compliant. We have no acces to the screensaver controls, and it will error even if I simply lock the comuter (ctrl-alt-del lock computer) then log back in.

No cutom keyboard functions, standard keyboard driver and just a wacom tablet.

No Auto Save is not enabled, and it saves EVERY time I hit Ram preview. After Effects CS3

• 9. Re: What did I do now....
                          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Anti-M:

Regarding HW acceleration (and possibly OpenGL, but I don't know), I discussed this with an engineer directly involved.

Apparently, it's a Windows issue. The reason why HW acceleration is disabled is because otherwise it would be highly unstable in those conditions. So, it's in your best interest

I was requested to get specific info from you, if at all possible, on the screensaver, display card/driver and OS version to file a bug report. Could you contact your IT people and send me this information through a private message?

Please bear in mind that I am about to catch a flight for NAB and it could take a couple of days for me to get back to you. I hope you understand.

Also, I need to state this clearly:. please don't expect a direct answer to your problem. It could happen, but it's certainly not guaranteed. It's more about helping it work better in the future OR establish that your screensaver is really harmful for HW acceleration and thus disabling it is the right thing.

Best,

Adolfo

• 10. Re: What did I do now....
                            Anti-M Level 1

Mr. Rozenfeld,

Thank you for your response. I hope to be at NAB as well (we are located in Vegas so it makes it easier)

I appreciate your help in this matter but please understand I am unsure that the screensaver has anything to do with my problems, it just seems like a likely candidate. Really I just want my PC to perform as I would expect. This is a very powerful PC and it really doesn't perform much better than my home desktop.

The screen saver is windows OS (I am running on WinXP64)set in the display properties. It simply blanks the screen after 10 minutes and prompts for password on return in the power options window. Nothing fancy. I did file a bug report on your site after Nvidia told me that it was an issue with After Effects (they were able to reproduce the problem;

"Latest Update from Nvidia:

Question Reference #090407-000060

Product Level 1: Graphics cards

Category Level 1: Troubleshooting

Date Created: 04/07/2009 10:55 AM

Last Updated: 04/15/2009 09:04 AM

Choose OS: Microsoft XP 64bit

Product Name: Quadro FX5600

Driver Version: 175.16

With further research, this is an After Effects CS3/CS4 bug and not an NVIDIA driver bug.

To prove this, I removed the NVIDIA card and driver and installed an ATI FireGL V5600 and ATI driver. Following your steps, I got exactly the same problem.

So please contact Adobe and reference this case if helpful so they can fix this problem"

I hope this helps and I do hope that I am able to get this PC performing as one would expect.

System specs:

Dell Precision t7400

WinXP64 SP2

Dual Quad Core X5460 @ 3.16Ghz

4 Gb of RAM

2 TB (1TB + 1TB Raid)

150GB Swap Disk (separate drive)

Quadro FX 5600 1.5 GB of RAM Driver 178.64 Video Bios 60.80.13.00.01

DirectX9.0c

and two (dualview) dell E228WFP 22" monitors

Thank you,

Chris Noll

Bally Technologies

cnoll@ballytech.com

• 11. Re: What did I do now....
                              yenaphe Level 4

I know this doesn't solve anything, but WinXP64 is not officially supported by CS4. The only 64bit windows OS supported by CS4 is Vista.

• 12. Re: What did I do now....
                                Anti-M Level 1

I am on CS3....

• 13. Re: What did I do now....
                                  yenaphe Level 4

Oh sorry, i thought you were on CS4. My bad.