2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2009 10:18 AM by Gary Andrew

zoom in on a large photo

dougleax

I have a large photo file 20,000x20,000 pixels.  What I want to do is create a movie that zooms from the entire image to viewing at 1 to1 or actual pixels.  When I try to import the image, Premiere says the file is too large.  Any way around the file size issue?

Is there another way or program to do this?

I have tried to make intermediate images, but I am having a problem getting the zoom to be exactly linear inbetween the next photo.  There seems to be some slowing down at the end even though I have the curve set to linear.  I looks like a straight line, but after the render. the zoom is not smooth.

• 1. Re: zoom in on a large photo
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

The MAX image size in Pr is roughly 4000 x 4000 pixels which is plenty large of most editing situations.

Howeverl if you need to zoom that large of an image you can use after effects to do it, then import that comp from After Effects into Pr via exported movie, or importing it into Pr via Dynamic link.

• 2. Re: zoom in on a large photo
            Gary Andrew Level 1

You are running into the fact that zooming optically with a lens as you are trying to simulate is not linear—the rate of change of scaling increases as you zoom in.  In After Effects there is a function to deal with this problem called Exponential Scale.  You indicate that you are ensuring that you are zooming in a linear fashion which is exactly the wrong solution.  Since Premiere does not have the exponential scale function you will have to use trial and error to manually adjust an “ease in” keyframe to achieve a visually constant zoom.