7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 11:41 AM by stewski

Fireworks CS4: could not open the file. Unknown file type

danny19

Hello, this is the second file created with Fireworks CS4 that can't be opened. I'm using the same Fireworks installation that created the file. The file is a 1.2 MB file containing the pages of a draft for a new website.

When I click on the file in Windows Explorer to open it, Fireworks tries to open it, but it can't. Instead, an alert pops up with this message: "Adobe Fireworks CS4 Could not open the file. Unknown file type"

Working with Windows Vista Business, Adobe Web Premium CS4 suite

I already tried opening the file, to no avail, with:

-another computer with Windows XP Pro SP3 and the same Fireworks version

-another computer with Windows XP Pro SP3 and Fireworks CS3

-another computer with Windows XP Pro SP3 and Fireworks MX 2004

Please help.

• 1. Re: Fireworks CS4: could not open the file. Unknown file type
          Nadia-P Level 5

I tried to find a solution for you by using:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?loc=en_us&term=error%20opening%20file&cat=su pport&product=fireworks

but I couldn't find anything.  You may want to give it a go  :-)

Can you open the file in another program, maybe an earlier version of FWs, or Photoshop or even Illustrator if you have it?

Not sure if there's a configuration folder that needs to be renamed and when FWs restarts it re-writes the config file... that's something to has to be done with DW when 'funny stuff' happens.

That's the best advice I have, I'm sorry  :-(

--

Nadia

Adobe® Community Expert : Dreamweaver

--------------------------------------------------

Unique CSS Templates |Tutorials |SEO Articles

http://www.DreamweaverResources.com

--------------------------------------------------

Book: Ultimate CSS Reference

http://www.sitepoint.com/launch/005dfd4/3/133

---------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/nadiap

• 2. Re: Fireworks CS4: could not open the file. Unknown file type
            SiamJai Level 2

Assuming that the file you saved/exported is Fireworks-compatible (ie. not html, pdf, flash etc.), you could try these ideas:

Ditch Explorer. Open Fireworks first, and then drag your file onto the application. This is supposed to open your file in a new tab. Sometimes I had problems directly opening files by double-clicking in Explorer like you did, but dragging or importing usually worked (in Flash anyway).

If that doesn't work, use the File >> Open dialog the same way.

If all else fails, you could attach the file to a message in this topic, so we can see whether the problem is with the file or with the application. Or if it can't be shared publically, create a dummy file and check if it's also unopenable - if so, you could share that one instead.

Good luck! :-)

• 3. Re: Fireworks CS4: could not open the file. Unknown file type
              Nadia-P Level 5

On more suggestion that may or may not work:

Restore default preferences

1. Quit Fireworks.

2. Locate the Fireworks Preferences file on your hard disk and delete it.

The exact location of this file varies from system to system. See Location of the Fireworks preferences file

• In Windows, preferences are in your user-specific Fireworks configuration folder.

• In Mac OS, preferences are in the Library/Preferences folder in your user folder. For information about locating your Mac OS user folder, see Apple Help.

Note: On Mac OS, most Fireworks user-specific configuration files are stored in your user-specific Application Support folder. The Fireworks CS4 Preferences file is an exception.
              3.  Restart Fireworks.
              1. The next time Fireworks is launched, a new preferences file will be created that restores Fireworks to its original configuration.

• 4. Re: Fireworks CS4: could not open the file. Unknown file type
                danny19 Level 1

Hey guys, thanks for your answers and ideas, however, nothing worked so far.

The preferences file: I had tried that before, sorry I did not mention it in my original post.

Re: Siam Jai idea of opening the file with Illustrator, tried but did not work, Illustrator says "Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand this file"

I'm attaching the file to this posting to see if anybody can open it. Thanks for trying.

Daniel

• 5. Re: Fireworks CS4: could not open the file. Unknown file type
                  Linda Nicholls Level 4

Have you moved the file to a new location? If yes, return it to the original one.

• 6. Re: Fireworks CS4: could not open the file. Unknown file type
                    cmscss Level 1

Hi There,

Does anyone know if there's a solution to this issue? I get this all day with JPG files saved from Photoshop.

I rang Adobe and was told there are integration issues with Photoshop/Fireworks and that I should open Photoshop files in Illustrator, save them as Illustrator files, then open them in Fireworks.

However, I've started to narrow things down to files that have been stored on a file server. If I drag the file to my desktop, open it in Photoshop and re-save it to my desktop, Fireworks can open it. I've contacted Adobe in the past about unrelated file problems and was told that Adobe doesn't officially support files that have been stored on a file server. Yep, I couldn't really believe what I was hearing - even Powerpoint files survive the trip to a file server and back.

Workarounds that have worked for us:

- Open your files in Illustrator (including images), save them as .ai files and then open them in Fireworks

- If your files are on a server, open them in Photoshop and re-save them to your desktop, then open them in Fireworks

The whole solution (and workarounds) maybe acceptable to some, but I'd prefer it if the two Adobe Image editors we use every day could save and open JPG files correctly - this situation is a royal pain in the path tool.

Any suggestions or pointers in the right direction would be most welcome.

Cheers

• 7. Re: Fireworks CS4: could not open the file. Unknown file type
                      stewski

I can confirm this error on CS3 version of fireworks when working off a remote drive fireworks intermittently gives the couldnt open file

Unknown file type on all sorts of images png's jpgs etc, even empty pngs just created in that version of fireworks.

Oddly your suggestion of putting in .ai format works every time but as you say as a workflow is far from ideal.

I hope Adobe resolve this as its very annoying, I have all my work in png on a remote server and I dont have the space to pull it local.