• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is Outline Numbering in RH7?

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are converting projects from RH 5 to RH 7. All our documents have to be be formatted with "legal" numbering (e.g., 1.1, 1.2.1, 1.2.1.1, etc.) In RH 5, there were 3 tabs under Bullets and Numbering, as I recall. You had Bullets, Numbering, and Outline. Now the Outline tab or option appears to no longer exist. We have had to reformat our documents manually when adding or deleting sections.

Does anyone know a way around this? And failing that, is there a way to add tab stops at least, so that lines that wrap will indent to the text position, not at the start of the line? In other words, we want the lines to be consistently indented and aligned without having to use spaces and nudge the lines, so sort of like this:

1.1  For example, this is a level one sentence.

1.1.1  This is a level two sentence and if you imagine it wrapped,

it would exactly left justify on the second line with the first word of the first line (e.g., 'This"), and not the number 1.1.1.

Any ideas or creative suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create two-column borderless tables, your outline number on the left, your content on the right. Indent "sub" tables as needed.

It's probably too late for RH7, but you might improve RH8 by submitting a bug report here: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html?showtab=tab_feedback. They're already working on improving multi-level list styles in RH8, so maybe this could be included.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Which "RoboFlavor" are we referring to here?

• RoboHelp for Word
  • RoboHelp HTML

Cheers.. Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd guess RoboHelp HTML, Rick, since outlining has not been removed from Word AFAIK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, yeah one might think. But I fired up my RoboHelp HTML X5 and there wasn't such an option. So that made me wonder if they are using (or referring to RoboHelp for Word)

(<shudder> gives me the willys to even THINK about RoboHelp for Word!)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen, brother!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input everyone. I should have been more clear. It is RoboHtml. (I too shudder at the thought of RoboHelp for Word...what is that anyway, version 3 with a new name on it or something?). However, I must have been dreaming when I thought I remembered the outline tab in version 5. It's not there either. Darn! Wishful thinking. After some more discovery, it appears that these "legacy" documents weren't originally authored in 5 as I previously thought. They were authored in Word and imported to version 5, and are now being imported into version 7 projects. So I guess we can close this question. I was really hoping to find another way besides using tables, as all the numbering is already in place and it would be a cut/paste nightmare to reformat everything. Plus, still have to struggle with having the "manually" renumber when they add or delete a section. So just to throw one last hail mary out there, anyone know of a good way (macros or some utility or something) to address the renumbering thing?

Thanks again! (Now, if you could just solve our RoboServer 7 problems, we'd be golden...hahahah).

- Kristen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristen

For what it's worth, if you were to upgrade to version 8 there is a shiny new feature that accommodates that type of list style.

You may wish to download the eval and do some byte kickin...

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Also as I understand it, RoboHelp Server is a new beast from the ground up in RoboHelp 8. I was never fond of RoboHelp Server 7 as it seemed to present more issues than there were answers for. Hopefully RoboHelp 8 will be a vast improvement.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Rick, the RH8 multi-level list style is not ready for prime time. I've mentioned it here in the forum, and have issued a bug report to Adobe.

You can get the outline numbers, but the default numbering is inside (Kristen specifically mentioned outside in her original post). Since outside is the default when using the Bullet/Number toolbar buttons for normal lists, this formatting difference is strange, to say the least.

I tried workarounds using indents, but could not get consistent results in Preview/IE/Firefox/Print.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon

I know it seems a bit on the strange side. And being a new feature, it could well be buggy. Or, it could simply be working as the developers intended but they failed to anticipate how we would want to use it.

All of it ultimately ends up in the CSS. Did you have a play with adjusting values in the CSS?

Note that I wasn't suggesting it would be the ultimate end all solution here. I only suggested the eval be tried to see.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yeah, I spent a LOT of time with the "x-lvl" values in the "rh-list" settings in the css, until my hair hurt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually think RH 8 just might be the answer to this question! I downloaded the trial and used the multi-list (multinumber option) to format the headings. By default, it appears that anything with a "normal" style does have a hanging indent (so the number is outside the text). The headings do not, by default. But all I had to do was modify the paragraph property to have a hanging indent and voila! Exactly what I want to happen, happens. Oh, I also had to slightly modify the style so that the first level of the multinumber option incuded a "0" after the autonumber. Also, it appears that inserting new paragraphs updates the numbers appropriately.

It may be a bit premature to say, but I actually think Adobe finally created a new "feature" that works! Yeah.

(One side note. If you looked at my related post on my "styles gone wild", when I import my topic from RH7 that was giving me WYSIWYG problems when toggling to preview or html mode, it still gives me display problems only this time, the editor looks right and the preview is wacked out! Go figure. But it definately seems to suggest there is something wrong with the original document that is causing the problems. Argh!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kristen

I have a couple of suggestions as you explore RoboHelp 8 (and possibly the RoboHelp Server 8 trial).

Both are really major upgrades. While the multi-level list may have a few "fit and finish" issues because it is new, you may be surprised to find that it is more than adequate for what you need. It is far superior to previous versions and it follow CSS standards.

To help guide you through the new features, I'd recommend downloading the Adobe RoboHelp 8 Reviewer's Guide. That link will take you to a web page where you can download the 60-page guide. At the end of the guide you will also find 7 Captivate Movies that show more features in action.

Also download the companion Try-It Exercises to work with the tutorials. There is also a new that you might find helpful as you look at the issue of lists and numbering. It is an autonumbering technique for creating and applying paragraph styles.

The Reviewer's Guide also has some info on the completely new Adobe RoboHelp Server 8 which you will find is MUCH better than the old RoboEngine which was mostly a holdover from the old eHelp Corporation. Adobe has done a nice job of completely rewriting the code in Java so that it can be cross platform rather than requiring Windows IIS and all the "baggage" that goes with it.

There is also more info on the server here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/robohelp/

(Scroll down to the March 3 post)

Hope this helps and hope you take advantage of the new version.
Thanks

john

John Daigle

Adobe RoboHelp and Adobe Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks John,

I think I was already able to figure out exactly what we need, but I will definately look at these resources for more information. Our only problem now is that our documents are manually numbered (e.g., typed in and spaced like this: 6.2.1  text text text). Do you know of a good way to quickly remove the pre-typed numbers? I tried exporting to Word, hoping to use the search/replace...but there are too many other numbers in the document that would be affected.

Other than than, I'm encouraged by what I have seen so far. I'll keep playing with it.

Thanks!

-Kristen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. I'm going to download the trial and give it a go. I suspect they will not want to purchase the upgrade if the features are not "ready for prime time", but maybe the cost of renumbering outways the appearance issues. At least I can show them some options.

-Kristen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last question...at least for this morning! I am actually going to post another thread, because it's a different topic. But you both have been so helpful, I'm hoping you'll go to my new question. I'm going to call it "CSS Styles Do Not Display Correctly in WYSIWYG Editor". Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp