1 2 Previous Next 61 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 7:44 AM by the_wine_snob

ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program

Typhoon859 Level 1

Why does this keep happening?  It's been happening to me with CS3 as well except less frequently.  It happens almost randomly now, with Premiere and Media Encoder.  Whenever it stops working, the encoding fails and/or Premiere crashes shortly after.  I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

EDIT: It's happening every time now..  10 seconds after I click to start the queue, this executable fails.

• 2. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
          Typhoon859 Level 1

This issue contains to happen but now I know the reason.  For the first time Windows detected the reason for the crash.  Apparently, FFDShow is somehow messing things up.  It might've crashed along with it - not sure.  So I guess my new question is, without actually uninstalling FFDShow every single time I want to render one of my projects whcih is retarded, is there any way I can disable it temporarily or set some kind of option to prevent it from working with Premiere?  I remember seeing an option on it somewhere to prevent (I think) it's usage with certain executables that I can choose.  Would adding the Adobe stuff work?  Any other possible solution?  Thanks.

• 3. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
            Harm Millaard Level 7

With CS2 or CS3, can't remember exactly which version, I once tried FFDShow and it was a disaster. It caused so much instability and errors that I completely removed it and had no more problems. If rumors are to be trusted it is at least equal to K-Lite or maybe worse. Anybody in their right mind would stay away from these, if you cherish stability and reliability.

• 4. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
              Typhoon859 Level 1

Lol.  It's not as bad as K-Lite.  I don't experience any problems with FFDShow but with Adobe.  It just doesn't work too well with it (seems more like a problem with Adobe because FFDShow is only doing what it's supposed to).  FFDShow is a great decoder and I wouldn't replace it with anything else.  So yeah, uninstalling it is not an option for me.  I use it an extensive amount.

• 5. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

FFDShow was an unmitigated disaster on my system, even when installed as an option with Sorenson Squeeze 5.  I know of very few people who have gotten Premiere Pro and FFDShow to work together without issue.

It is very likely that you will have to choose between the two.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                  Typhoon859 Level 1

I didn't even know FFDShow gets utilized at all.  It's not a problem with FFDShow...  Adobe is supposed to take into account that another decoder could possibly interfere with whatever it's doing and should take measures to prevent that from happening.  As I said, I'll try disabling it with Adobe programs if that's possible.

• 7. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Adobe is supposed to take into account that another decoder could possibly interfere with whatever it's doing and should take measures to prevent that from happening.

That may be a tall order, considering all the various codecs out there.  Better to just keep you system clean.  Don't use your production rig for anything other than production.

• 8. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                      Typhoon859 Level 1

FFDShow is one of the most commonly used...  Anyway, I'm going to try to run the process again over night and see if it fails.  I added all the adobe programs that I thought could have any relation to FFDShow in its settings.  We'll see what happens.

• 9. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

It may well be very common for people playing back computer videos.  What I'm suggesting is you just don't do that on your edit rig.  Use another computer for personal video playback.

• 10. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                          Typhoon859 Level 1

Oh, well, that would require me to have another awesome video card and another awesome processor because I do a lot of encoding...  Not very cheap things...  Not to mention all the other parts of a computer.  It's like if somebody has a problem with their computer to answer them with "Get another one"...  That's not a real suggestion..

• 11. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

In the world of video editing, that actually is a very common recommendation.  Use your edit rig just for editing.  Get a second computer for everything else.  Those who choose to ignore that advice and end up with issues, well...that's kind of a "told you so" situation.

• 12. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

And to add to Jim's comment, no editing rig needs an 'AWESOME' graphics card, especially not anything SLI or Crossfire. Keep that to your OTHER PC as a gaming machine.

• 13. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                Typhoon859 Level 1

I wasn't talking about SLI or Crossfire.  Still even without it...  3 points: 1) I don't have another computer or space for one.

2) It's quite an expense and isn't a solution you really suggest in a thread like this (Uninstalling FFDShow IS ONE but using one computer just for editing really isn't).  Maybe if I had a business utilizing video editing; but in that case, I'd obviously know to do so.  I'm just a casual user..

3) Either way, it's a huge inconvenience.

I uninstalled FFDShow and when I get back home, I will check to see if it failed again.  One more thing I'll try after that if it still fails and if that doesn't work either, well then, it's something other than FFDShow that's causing the problem.  The thing that I mentioned earlier about it could've been a coincidence (though I doubt it).  Think about this though, if a program requires to be installed all in lonesomeness in order to work properly, is the problem with Adobe or the program that supposedly crashes it?  The FFDShow video decoder is only doing what it's programmed to do.  Adobe should block interferences and isolate itself from other processes.  If you guys have never believed it to be so, try to consider it at least for a short time and not just respond with the common answer you usually give.  I love Premiere, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and many others in the collection - that's why I'm struggling to get this right (but only in a direct method - otherwise it's not worth it in terms of my purposes).  Premiere has always been very unstable with many users whereas Sony Vegas (as an example) isn't.  It has less problems - I just don't like it though.  I've never had 3 consecutive renders that succeeded; this is even before I had any sort of codecs installed besides DivX...

• 14. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Not germane to your problem - and I wish you good luck in sorting that out, but PrPro has worked for me in a less-than sterile environment. I do more advertising still processing work, than video. Yes, by some standards, the machine is "clean," but for pure NLE work, well no so clean. I have had zero conflicts, so far.

As to Adobe writing programs to work with all other programs, that is impossible. There are tons of programs that will likely cause conflicts of one sort or another. Adobe cannot possibly know which programs are going to be installed on a user’s computer.

Even in the controlled environment of Mac, several recent updates to QuickTime have killed most things-Adobe. How can that happen? Surely Apple must consider that Mac users will likely have something from Adobe on their computers. Still, it has happened and repeatedly. Fortunately, there is often an update that fixes these issues - until "next time."

I hope that you can find the conflict and also find a way to eliminate it. I am like you, in that I cannot afford, nor have room for a pure NLE machine. I take my chances and have probably just been lucky. Still, even on my laptop, that does everything else that my workstation does not, no issues with PrPro, AE, PS or any Adobe programs. Again, probably just dumb, blind luck.

If you do get your issue sorted out, please report on what you found to work. Others will definitely benefit from your hard work.

Hunt

• 15. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                    Typhoon859 Level 1

Well, initially I thought that my Vista OS was causing the problem - that it was corrupt in some way.  I'm beginning to think so again because I've had quite a few issues with Vista in the past.

Well, obviously Adobe can't cover all these programs but with things such as FFDShow - something that's so commonly used, if it causes problems then if they gave what you said as an excuse, it wouldn't fly.  That's almost like saying that it's the fault of DivX if it were causing the confliction and ONLY with Adobe products such as Premiere.

Another possibility might be that the point at which it renders a certain clip, that's where it fails.  It tends to fail around in the same spot (similar file size of the rendered videos after the failure).  I'm trying it one last time and then I'll know whether FFDShow has anything to do with it.

EDIT: Do you know of any other possible codec/decoder that could cause the problem?  Maybe AC3Filter?...

• 16. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

That is another one to look at. All they have in common that all these formats are delivery formats, not editable formats. So, it is no wonder that an editing program has difficulties with delivery formats but not with editing formats. It is about the same as saying that Word has no problem with DOC formats, but but will fail with XLS formats, even though a lot of people use that. You can't blame Word for that. It was not designed to handle that. Same with PR.

• 17. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                        Typhoon859 Level 1

Funny thing is, I blamed Word at one point for not supporting XLS, lol.  We'll see what happens.  So far it's fine.  I'm prety much waiting for it to fail (hopefully not).

• 18. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Probably not much help, but I have used both the AC3 .dll from Encore in various installs of PrPro with no ill effects. I have used the AC3 filter (I think Ann posted of this), with no ill effects. As I posted earlier, some have major problems with K-Lite and other CODEC packs. Others have no issues. I'd *guess* that some of these are more Asset related, but do not know that. I cannot recall who has K-Lite installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS the forum is going wonky again - hope this posts...

• 19. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                            jabloomf1230 Level 1

This crash is most likely due to PP CS4 attempting to enumerate all system codecs and encountering one that is "ill-behaved", even if it is a codec that PP will never use. Take a look here for a slightly more detailed explanation:

http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=139

Basically, the best advice has already been given further up in this thread: Do not install codec packs. You are asking for trouble. Troubleshooting these types of crashes can be very cumbersome. First uninstall all codec packs. This may not work perfectly, since many packs do not clean up the Windows registry during an uninstall. Uninstall software like Nero, which can almost be as bad an influence on your system as a codec pack. Then start removing individual third party codecs and test PP CS4, until the crash disappears. A codec appliance like GSpot or Filmerit can be very helpful in tracking down wayward codecs. With regard to codecs, more is not better.

• 20. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for furnishing the link to that article. With regards to CODEC's, I only install what I need, and always look for a paid version from the source. To date, I've had no problems with that method (knocking on wood, as he types). You are so right, more is NOT always better.

Hunt

• 21. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                jabloomf1230 Level 1

Also, be aware that even with payware 3rd party codecs, sometimes an update is made available, you install it and all of a sudden, these types of crashes occur.

I'm hoping that when the PP CS4 4.1 upgrade is made vailable, Adobe will have tightened up this component of the software to reduce the potential for the ImportProcessServer.exe crashes, in a similar manner that Avery Lee, the author of VirtualDub did.

• 22. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not encountered such behavior - yet. Still, a great admonition for all.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 23. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                    Typhoon859 Level 1

Hmmm..  I uninstalled the CCCP Codec Pack that I had and restarted the computer.  It crashed again.  I do have Nero but I need it - can't uninstall.  Even if it fixed the issue, I'd need to install Nero ack anyway.

In any case, what I've noticed is that it crashed at the very same spot - 465MB was the size of the video file which is what it was during the last crash.  I'm beginning to think that it's one of the videos I have in there.  Everything plays back fine but maybe fails during the encode.  Not sure which video really and uh, either way, I need all the footage in there :/  I don't think there's anything I can do which is a scary thought.

On the other hand, the ImporterProcessServer does fail every time I close Premiere so that can't only be the issue.  Sigh.. I give up.  I need this done but what the heck, there's nothing I can do...  Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

• 24. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

First, the good news: I've go Nero (don't have the version number handy, but a fairly recent one) peacefully co-existing with PrPro, without the indexing and the InCD modules.

Now, what exactly is happening at the spot that things go wonky? Is there anything that you can discern? Could be a "gap," or maybe something else. What are the two Assets on either side of that spot?

Don't give up yet. As this is not a common error, it may well be with your Assets. Perhaps a subtle, but significant change, can salvage the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                        Typhoon859 Level 1

Dont' worry - I've already had the problem where it failed at a gap constantly at one time just worked all of the sudden.  I'm watching closely this time to see where it happens.  There's nothing that really indicates anything but what I've already said.  I have no idea at this point about any other specific detail.  We'll see what I can find.  It might actually be a gap o.0;;

• 26. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the "gaps" are funny little things. I've seen a single one-frame gap bring a Project to its knees, and had an inherited Project that I removed 950+ 1-2 frame gaps from - that Project had Rendered, been Transcoded and Exported fine. I had the original editor's test DVD's to prove it. Just flat odd.

For "gap-testing," I always zoom in to about frame-level on the Timeline view, hit Home, then step thorugh with PageDn, watching the CTI. It should jump smoothly through each Clip. If it "hiccups," or "stutters," then I have usually found a gap. Sometimes, they are easy to see at the high magnification, but sometimes they seem to hide. The PageUp/PageDn normally helps me find 'em.

Good luck, and if you do find the problem at that point, please report back.

Hunt

• 27. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                            Typhoon859 Level 1

Hmm, well, there was a gap there and I filled it in.  The process still failed at that point though.  I'm beginning to think it's the clip itself...  It plays back fine though so I don't know..  Yeah, I'll report back if I get it to work.  I know for sure that it's not related to FFDShow, DivX, or anything like that.  I uninstalled it all and restarted.

• 28. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

When troubleshooting a Project like this, it's good to rule out "the usual suspects." I'd have had suspicions on FFDShow too, but he has an alibi, so he's innocent. I'd probably not have considered DivX, since none of your source files use that CODEC. Still, CODEC's can do harm, even when not directly used. He's in the clear now.

Now, you've got to locate what is going on in the Clips on either side of that point. Any Effects? Any Track Mattes, etc.? Gotta' be something different about one, or the other.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                Typhoon859 Level 1

Well, I filled in ALL the gaps just in case and we'll see what happens.  Other than that, I don't really see any problem.  There's nothing different about ANY of the parts besides their file format (though others of the same file format succeeded).  I'm going to start rendering from a point further on in the compilation since I know it never fails before a certain point.

• 30. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Probably just too far back in the thread for me to remember, but what are the complete details of the Clips on either side of the crash-point? The format is but a "wrapper." You could have 5 .AVI files and each could have a different CODEC. I'd run G-Spot (think it's been linked to earlier on), and look very closely at these two files - regardless of their format. Could be a big clue in one of these.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 31. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                    Typhoon859 Level 1

It's DivX and WMV, each of which are imported using AVISynth.

AVISource() and DirectShowSource()

Yeah, this project is from very far back, from when I was still using Adobe Premiere Elements.  This is the first compilation I've ever made that has been edited a lot since then.  Didn't know too much back then ><

• 32. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks. I just could not remember.

Now, it is possibly something that PrPro does not like about those AVSynth conversions. Can you go back to the source files, and do the conversion again? Also, in G-Spot, when you run the Rendering function (the little squares with 1, 2 & 3 inside at the lower left), do these two files Render and Play well? If not, there should be some error messages as to why the Render failed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 33. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                        Typhoon859 Level 1

Well, all the files are AVISynth just like the two where the issue might be taking place.  And uh... "Also, in G-Spot, when you run the Rendering function (the little squares with 1, 2 & 3 inside at the lower left), do these two files Render and Play well? If not, there should be some error messages as to why the Render failed." what?..  lol

Please forgive me for being such a noob.

• 34. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, here is a screen-cap of G-Spot with the area of interest (for now) highlighted.

G-Spot Screen 01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 35. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                            Typhoon859 Level 1

Oh, umm, I don't know what G-Spot is.  Never used it.

I've been trying to export certin parts of the video (including the part I thought had the problem) and it's all succeeding.  It's driving me crazy.  Why is it failing when rendering the whole thing?  Ugh...

• 36. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry. Thought I'd posted the link to G-Spot in this thread already.

It's a freeware utility that will do several things:

1.) survey your system for properly installed CODEC's

2.) provide you with info on many AV formats

3.) use the CODEC's on your system to test an AV file - both video and audio

No one should be without it.

Hunt

• 37. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Typhoon859 wrote:

I've been trying to export certin parts of the video (including the part I thought had the problem) and it's all succeeding.  It's driving me crazy.  Why is it failing when rendering the whole thing?  Ugh...

How much RAM do you have?  Temporary disk space?  Scratch disk space?

If exporting separate parts works fine, but the whole show doesn't, then that *usually* indicates that you're running out of something - RAM or disk space.

-Jeff

• 38. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                                  Typhoon859 Level 1

I have 8GB of DDR2 1066MHz RAM and 100GB of free disk space.  It's not that.

• 39. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe Stops Working and Crashes the Program
                                                                                    Typhoon859 Level 1

Thanks, I'll definitely install it then.

1 2 Previous Next