8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2009 6:14 PM by Kent Jakusz

Blue Ray authoring on DVD

Kent Jakusz Level 1

This link demonstrates how to author BD on to DVD-R using Final Cut and Toast.  http://www.macvideo.tv/dvd-authoring/

Can CS4 do the same and if so what is the workflow?

Curious

Kent

• 1. Re: Blue Ray authoring on DVD
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

This is a case of "Necessity breeds invention"

Apple has been woefully behind the curve with Bluray.  The reason is Apple got in bed with the HDDVD format which everyone knows now lost the HD disk format war.  And Apple has yet to catch up.   They have two problems; Apple doesnt sell an affordable bluray burner yet.   So, if you want one you have to either pay the outrageous priice for the one they recommend, or be a pioneer and install a PC based Bluray burner or external burner yourself.

2nd problem is the SW.  DVD Studio is still struggling with Blurray support.  Encore has had it for 2 years now.   So; Apple users and 3rd party folk have more incentive to create workarounds for blurray than PC users.   Some FCP users buy Premiere just to get Encore so they can burn Blurays.

Im not a platform biggot; just giving some background on why this hack is more common for apple than pc.

So; I suppose you can find some tools to do the same thing on PC platform, but I dont see many advantages.   If you produce Bluray onto a DVD-r it will be 30 minutes long or less for any kind of decent quality, and your client still needs a bluray player.

Just buy a bluray burner.  Encore already authors and burns bluray very easily. 

The $5000 licensing fees and "learning a programming language" the guy rambled about is missleading.   Encore requires no knowedge of programming.  The licensing fee he referes to is for replication house replication.  You can burn or duplicate Blurray disks with no license fee.    Licensing IS a problem for high volume projects that require replication.   But if you're looking to burn blurray to DVD-r, I doubt that is the roadblock for you.

• 2. Re: Blue Ray authoring on DVD
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

See also these tutorials.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: Blue Ray authoring on DVD
              Kent Jakusz Level 1

I am operating Premier Pro on a Mac. I understand from the video that it is possible to burn Blue Ray media onto a DVD-R with a DVD burner, of course a BR disk player is needed to play back and the time limit per disk is about 20 minutes.  My question is can I use CS4 for the same end result?  The projects I do are generally short and quality is important.  Also it would be nice to not have to invest in a Blue Ray Burner at this time.

Enjoy

Kent

• 4. Re: Blue Ray authoring on DVD
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

Encore can save a Bluray image to a file.  Thats no problem.  The challange is burning that image to a DVD rather than a Bluray disk.  Most burning apps are not designed to do that.  You could use Toast for that; or perhaps there are other apps that will burn the image to DVD for you.

I maintain another forum where some users have gotten it to work.  Check this thread: http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29665

Some caveots; Not all Bluray settop players play DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs.  So, you will likely have more compatibility problems than normal.

Bluray burners are less than $200 now

• 5. Re: Blue Ray authoring on DVD
                  Kent Jakusz Level 1

I use a iMac computer with Firewire I did a search and could not find a Blue Ray burner that is compatable.  Any suggestions?

Kent

• 6. Re: Blue Ray authoring on DVD
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do not need a BR burner to get BR on a dvd.

In Encore you make the BR image then with a dvd burn program like Toast? (i am on a PC) you burn the image to a dvd.

As Curt said you need a BR standalone player or playstation to play the dvd.

You will have to go to the store with your home made BR-dvd disk and test it on location to get the right BR-player that will play your BR-dvd.

• 7. Re: Blue Ray authoring on DVD
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

Kent Jakusz wrote:

I use a iMac computer with Firewire I did a search and could not find a Blue Ray burner that is compatable.  Any suggestions?

Kent

I dont think Apple makes a  Bluray drive at all.   Just google Blur ray burners use any vendor to get a firewire connected external.  You may want to look at Adobes approved equipment list to see if there is one the MAC ver of Encore prefers.

Im not a MAC expert; but i think if you connect a firewire bluray burner to it, the MAc will recognize it and then it will be available in Encore as a drive.

You also might get some more expertise on this over in the encore forum.  Those guys have more focus on the burning end of things than generally in the Pr forum.

• 8. Re: Blue Ray authoring on DVD
                        Kent Jakusz Level 1

I stumbled across a Lacie that appears to write BR for Mac it is the LaCie d2 Blu-ray Professional BD-R, BD-RE Drive and sells for $450.

What is the opinion of the following;

Export to a USB drive and view on a TV with a Western Digital Media Player http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572?

You have created a solid state movie on a very inexpensive rewritable media that can be played back via an inexpensive player.  I have no experience with this but at first glance it seems like a good idea.

If this is possible with CS4 what would be the workflow.

Curious

Kent