8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 6:58 AM by Jim_Babbage

Batch process to Tiff Image

I have several hundreds of psd documents every now and then and I need to print them out to black&white TIFF format. Is there a way that I can do an automation in FW CS4? I know how to get them into greyscale from Bridge but I am looking for Black&White Tiff image. is there a script that I can use? I haven't got to scripting experience yet. Can you help? I really appreciate your helps.

• 1. Re: Batch process to Tiff Image
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

Just so we're clear, Fireworks is a screen graphics application and it may not be particularly efficient if you try to batch process a huge number of high resolution images.

That said, you can probably create a custom command to do what you want, and it doesn't require programming knowledge. FW already has batch commands for resizing, renaming and exporting files, so the only piece you need to add to the puzzle is sharpening.

Open a file in Fireworks. Using ONLY key commands, apply the unsharp mask filter. TAB through the input fields rather than using your mouse. Fireworks records keyboard commands, but not options selected with the mouse.

When you have the sharpening you want, tab to the OK button and press enter on the keyboard.

Open the History panel (Window > History)

Select the Filter Image step and click on the disc icon at the bottom right of the panel. This lets you save the shrapening as a custom command. It will appear at the bottom of your Commands menu in FW.

Now go back to Bridge

Select your images

Choose Tools > FIreworks > Batch Process

Your images will appear in included files window at the bottom of the Batch wizard

Click next

From the Batch options pane, add the processes you want:Scale, Export and fromthe Commands section choose Convert to Greyscale and your unsharp mask custom command.

From the Include in Batch pane, set the order of the process to Convert to Greyscale, Scale, Unsharp Mask and export. Select the Scale command and change the settings as desired at the the bottom of the wizard window,

Select the Export command, choose custom from the settings area and then click the edit button so you can choose TIFF. When you've adjusted the settings to your liking, click OK (You willnot see an image preview when you alter these settings).

Click Next and choose to export the files to a custom location, so  you do not overwrite your existing files.

If you like, choose the Save Script button to save the entire process as a custom batch command.

Click the Batch button, and go have lunch. ;-)

• 2. Re: Batch process to Tiff Image
            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Excellent walktrough Jim.

• 3. Re: Batch process to Tiff Image
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

Thanks! I feel a tutorial coming on . . . lol

• 4. Re: Batch process to Tiff Image
                vutran764 Level 1

Thank you very much, Jim. You save my day. I like the trick where we can save steps in history panel as an automated command for batch process. can I ask you one more question, since you sound so familiar with sharpening or unsharpen tool? What values do I need to adjust in Sharpen amount, Pixel radius, Threshold for black&white image? Do I work only with one slider in Unsharp Mask Dialog box? Is there a relationship between these configurations? Basically, I like my images to be just back and white and have the lowest memory space?

Once again, thank you very much, Jim

• 5. Re: Batch process to Tiff Image
                  Jim_Babbage Level 4

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. I am not sure if there is any hard and fast rule for sharpening. I've read many different techniques.

One that I use is to apply a high amount, but keep the effect subtle by using a low radius. Typically, higher resolution images can handle more sharpening than lower resolution images.

Higher Threshold values tone down the sharpening effect as well.

This link may be of help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Fireworks/10.0_Using/WS4c25cfbb1410b0021e63e3d1152b00cce0-7feb .html

• 6. Re: Batch process to Tiff Image
                    vutran764 Level 1

thank you very much Jim

• 7. Re: Batch process to Tiff Image
                      Michel Bozgounov Level 2

You have almost written a tutorial, Jim! Remains to polish it a bit and then hit that "Publish" button!

• 8. Re: Batch process to Tiff Image
                        Jim_Babbage Level 4

You;re very welcome!