8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2009 1:13 AM by BetaClone

Bad capture quality. Possible NTSC/PAL issue?

BetaClone

Hi, I'm trying to capture DV from an old Panasonic cam (NV-GS30) but I think the captured video quality is lower than expected. My only idea is that it might have anything to do with my PAL/NTSC settings. I can't select PAL from the Custom Presets menu. It's only grayed out on NTSC. I attach a screenshots. Any ideas?

Could that be the cause of my problem?

How can I make PAL selectable?

I'm using Premiere Elements 4 on Vista (Business 32).

• 1. Re: Bad capture quality. Possible NTSC/PAL issue?
          Paul_LS Level 4

Have you tried starting a new project using a PAL project preset?

Also what do you mean the capture quality is bad? Can you give a little extra information.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bad capture quality. Possible NTSC/PAL issue?
            Felix G Level 1

I can't open the sceenshot so it's not entirely clear what went wrong.

Perhaps it helps to know that you have to set the Project Settings (NTSC or PAL etc.) at the very start of each new project.

Once you have selected them, you cannot alter those settings. If you start the program and the Splash Screen opens, choose New Project/Change Settings and then select PAL (and after that select one of the various options - in your case probably DV - belonging to the PAL-category).

Good luck. F.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Bad capture quality. Possible NTSC/PAL issue?
              BetaClone Level 1

Thanks for the quick help!

I think the main problem is that I can't see any presets for PAL when creating a new project. The presets box is empty and I can't find any way to create a PAL project. I managed to create one NTSC project and save it as a new preset and that turned up in the preset window when starting a project. I might try to re-install Premiere Elements tonigth and see if it helps. Any other idea?

Regarding the bad quality. The most obvious is that there are lines that must be de-interlaced, but also the general feel of the captured video is pretty bad. I'll try to do another capture in another tool to see if I can compare the difference. I'm not sure if this is related to my NTSC/PAL -issue at all. It's the first step in solving the problem.

Thanks again. I'll try to fix the screen shot issue when I'm back home. Not sure why it failed. Sorry for that.

• 4. Re: Bad capture quality. Possible NTSC/PAL issue?
                Paul_LS Level 4

Yes, firstly you need to get the project preset correct... if your video is captured as PAL then you need to use a PAL project preset and vice-versa, if not you will definately see poor quality.

Also remember the preview quality while editing is not as good as the exported video, also interlace lines will be seen with interlaced video played on a monitor (unless the media player deinterlaces the video), however when played on a TV these will not be visible.

• 5. Re: Bad capture quality. Possible NTSC/PAL issue?
                  BetaClone Level 1

I'm trying a second time with the attachment. Note how the Editing Mode is grayed out and set to NTSC.

CustomPresets.png

• 6. Re: Bad capture quality. Possible NTSC/PAL issue?
                    Paul_LS Level 4

Yes, this is because you have chosen ( or by default) selected an NTSC project preset at the start up Splash screen. When you open PE7, click on New Project, then at the bottom of the window that opens there is a drop down... you need to select the PAL DV preset (either standard or widescreen). You can not change the format once the project is started... that is why it is greyed out.

• 7. Re: Bad capture quality. Possible NTSC/PAL issue?
                      BetaClone Level 1

I reinstalled premiere and it solved my issue! The presets are now back so I can choose PAL.

PresetsFixed.png

I did a test capture and the capture quality seems to be fixed as well. Again, thanks for the help and have a nice weekend

• 8. Re: Bad capture quality. Possible NTSC/PAL issue?
                        Paul_LS Level 4

Great to hear it is up and running. You have a great weekend too.