9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 4:46 AM by AyeSail

Bookmark Functionality

I have an idea for Adobe Reader that I got while reading a document with MicroSoft Reader. I know that I am able to select a word within the document and insert a bookmark on the page where the word was selected so that I am able to go back to that part of the document and start reading again.

The idea that I got was to include this function in a future version of the Adobe Reader program. Let me include two examples below.

You have purchased an ebook (any particular subject) and you open the document with Adobe Reader and begin reading it. You look at the bottom of the window in the status bar and see that the document is 450 pgs. You read about 100 pages and get too tired to read any more. What do you do? With the versions that are out now you have to close the document, exit the software and come back later to try and findthe spot that you stopped reading at so you that you can continue reading from there.

You have purchased an .lit file (any particular subject) and you open the book with Microsoft Reader and begin reading it. You can look at the bottom of the page and see how many pages there are in this book (450). You can only read 100 of the pages as you get too tired to read any further. You select a word, bookmark it, close MicroSoft Reader, and go to bed. You come back later, open MicroSoft Reader, open the book, go to the bookmarked page and start reading where you left off.

I know that some pdf files are more than 100 pages long, but I don't have experience with an ebook. Some of those could be several hundred pages long and the first example could happen. If Adobe Reader had a bookmarking function, it would be as easy as using Microsoft Reader, so that you could return easily to the page that you stopped on and start reading again.

If anyone else thinks that this is a good idea, go on and add your opinion to this page and maybe it will be added at some point in the future.

• 1. Re: Bookmark Functionality
          AbhigyanModi Adobe Employee

Reader has a preference:

Document>Restore last view settings when reopening documents

Does that fulfil your need to getting back to where you left?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bookmark Functionality
            Level 1

That option is close enough to work. I actually didn't know that the option was there, but I do now. Thanks much.

• 3. Re: Bookmark Functionality
              ludwig19777

still this option does not replace completely the need for BOOKMARK FUNCTION in

adobe reader. i can tell you from my experience. i am really amazed that adobe did not include this

function which is one of the most important ones for readers like me. i hope someone wil

l do something about it.

• 4. Re: Bookmark Functionality
                ludwig19777 Level 1

still this option does not replace completely the need for BOOKMARK FUNCTION in

adobe reader. i can tell you from my experience. i am really amazed that adobe did not include this

function which is one of the most important ones for readers like me. i hope someone wil

l do something about it.

• 5. Re: Bookmark Functionality
                  try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Reader is just that, a reader of PDF files. If you want to modify PDF files (by adding, removing or editing bookmarks, for example), then you either need to purchase Acrobat or (for some things) get a file that had special rights added to it in Acrobat.
                  Lately, Adobe has enabled Reader users to add annotations even without those special rights (in Reader X), so maybe bookmarks will be next...

• 6. Re: Bookmark Functionality
                    Mindset Guru Level 1

Smart idea - not sure how this could be implemented though.

• 7. Re: Bookmark Functionality
                      AyeSail

I found some of the comments to your original post quite interesting.  I recently downloaded Adobe Reader X mainly for reading educational PDFs in an online investing class I'm taking.  Many of the PDF's are in excess of 200 pages.   Oftentimes, if not all the time, I can't read the entire document in one sitting, and I often come across areas I need to "bookmark," especially since there are quizzes along the way.

Like some of the posts here, I find "bookmarking" essential for "readers," especially those who read voluminous documents (I would hope most do, if only occasionally).  While Adobe Reader is only for "reading," I would think the act of "reading" includes making notes along the way, and "sticking" a bookmark on a page as a reminder to go back for a concept or to re-read something that may not be as clear as it could be during the first reading.  That said, just being able to return to the last page read, when the document is re-opened, falls well short of what I would think is a "reader" requirement.

Granted, this fine application is "free," and I do appreciate it, and I cope with the time-consuming effort of finding areas I wish to re-read.  I have a paid-for PDF reader as well, but I have to pay separately to have it installed on every computer I use to take my classes, so, financially, I'm relegated to Adobe Reader X, whereas cost, or lack thereof, is the compelling factor.

Be that as it may, while I know I haven't used "every" PDF reader available, the few that I have used do have bookmarking functionality, save Adobe Reader.  Furthermore, while I'm far from being a Programmer of software applications, I would think there were other additions incorporated in Adobe Reader that were more complex than bookmarking, I suppose.

So, while Adobe Reader is only a "reading" application, it's difficult for me to understand a complelling reason as to why that functionality hasn't been incorporated in the application several versions beforehand for those who take the act of reading to its limits.

With all due respect to all, I'm just saying ...

AyeSail

• 8. Re: Bookmark Functionality
                        ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AyeSail wrote:

So, while Adobe Reader is only a "reading" application, it's difficult for me to understand a complelling reason as to why that functionality hasn't been incorporated in the application several versions beforehand for those who take the act of reading to its limits.

AyeSail

Easy. Economics.

Adobe wants to sell you a product to do that. Plus, if you add up all the features that people here in the Reader forum have asked for over the years, you would have Adobe Acrobat Standard.

• 9. Re: Bookmark Functionality
                          AyeSail Level 1

Okay.