17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2008 7:43 PM by Cory C.

Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.

Cory C.
      Hey, back again!
      I was finally moving along with this whacko layout when suddenly I noticed the preview in FireFox moved everything in the middle of the page to the right about 700+ pixels. The menu area has the styles built into the page.
      I don't know where the thing blew up along the way so I'm not sure how to return at this point. Just been trying to debug the mug.
      Link: http://www.palmtek.com/test/indexRev2c.htm

It must be the style sheet somehow because it affected my RevB version that has a different menu.
      Link: http://www.palmtek.com/test/indexRev2.htm
        • 1. Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
          Cory C. Level 1
          When I put some text in this div tag like this,
          quote:

<div id="contentWrapper"> Content Wrapper
          <!--[ Begin Main Content ]-->
          <div id="content">
          <table width="800" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

ie puts it left and FF puts it right.
          • 2. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
            malcster2 Level 1
            first of all, i think you need to fix the errors. runt the validation test at -
            http://validator.w3.org/
            • 3. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
              Cory C. Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: malcster2
              first of all, i think you need to fix the errors. runt the validation test at -
              http://validator.w3.org/

The validation errors were all erroneous false positives because of some dashes on line 41 which is how the item is originally coded in the style sheet. In the HTML doc it's an ie6 fix.

height: 1px; /* -- edit height here! -- */ Like this.
              height: 1px; /* [ edit height here ] */ I changed it to this and all of the following errors were gone as well.

Validates now. This just isn't a validation problem, no surprise though, I new that already having validated it before and wasn't concerned about the erroneous errors.
              If I add some float:right; to #content then it lines up in both browsers but then it gaps the top of the pillar from the menu area. I had this crazy thing all working and lost control while tuning the menu. If I take the menu out though it still shoves the middle of the page to the right in FF.
              I love this stuf right? Just keep saying it.
              Thanks malcster2.
              • 4. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                malcster2 Level 1
                when i ran a validation on the code, i got about 5 errors, mainly typing mistakes.

when i fixed them i got this: http://www.malcmabe.co.uk/test.html

check it in both. isn't this what you were looking for?
                • 5. Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                  Cory C. Level 1
                  Almost. but if you have an older version of my style sheet when this started and remove the text "Content Wrapper" from after the DIV tag then it moves the middle content section to the far right in FF.
                  If I add float:left or float:right to the #content ID then it brings it back to position but then leaves a gap between my DIV header and TABLE.
                  The code will validate but the shift is still there.
                  • 6. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                    malcster2 Level 1
                    http://www.malcmabe.co.uk/test.html

have a look at this.
                    apart from the gap between the footer, and the bottom border, i can see no difference in ff and ie.

what is it you are trying to achieve?
                    • 7. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                      Cory C. Level 1
                      This.
                      http://www.palmtek.com/test/indexRev2c.htm

Looks right in ie7, but in FF I get that little gap in the pillar I put between the header and the footer.
                      It wasn't there yesterday and I haven't a clue what I did to break it.

Look right over your dfsfsdfsdf. Thats were FF has a little extra space. Then compare my test page so you can see the images that span top to bottom from header to footer.

Thanks for all your extra effort on this, it's appreciated.
                      • 8. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                        malcster2 Level 1
                        not promising anything, but try this:

p, td, th, div, blockquote, ul, li, dl, ol { font-size: 1em; }
                        p, td, th, blockquote { margin: 0.5em 0;} /* controls spacing
                        between elements */

you have neutrilized some differences in your css page, but i noticed you didn't do this for table elements. as your pillar image is inside a td, this may be effected
                        • 9. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                          Cory C. Level 1
                          Well, that didn't work either. Dang!
                          It's almost 5:00am here in Arizona, USA so I need to catch a few winks of sleep.
                          Thanks for the assist.
                          I'll mess with it again later today.
                          • 10. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                            Level 7
                            Cory C. wrote:
                            > Hey, back again!
                            > I was finally moving along with this whacko layout when suddenly I noticed the
                            > preview in FireFox moved everything in the middle of the page to the right
                            > about 700+ pixels. The menu area has the styles built into the page.
                            > I don't know where the thing blew up along the way so I'm not sure how to
                            > return at this point. Just been trying to debug the mug.
                            > Link: http://www.palmtek.com/test/indexRev2c.htm
                            >
                            > It must be the style sheet somehow because it affected my RevB version that
                            > has a different menu.
                            > Link: http://www.palmtek.com/test/indexRev2.htm
                            >

Remove the third last rule.....

#redBorderHeader .wr_contentrow .wr_content { height: 14px; }

HTH

--
                            chin chin
                            Sinclair
                            • 11. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                              Starsail1979
                              Hi Cory,

Just in case you didn't notice you have spelt technologies wrong i know how annoying it can b to have a client point this out

Cheers

Stu
                              • 12. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                                Cory C. Level 1
                                Believe it or not, it's intentional. Like noogies/nugies only the technical kind.
                                It's going to be a Techno Blog.

> Just in case you didn't notice you have spelt technologies wrong i know how annoying it can b to have a client point this out
                                • 13. Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                                  Cory C. Level 1
                                  I guess that closes the gap in FF but that also makes the header to thick and the drop menu overlap too much.
                                  That's why I set the height of it.
                                  BTW, that was to be the next battle because that's what ie6 does with it regardless of that height setting in there.

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                  > Remove the third last rule.....

> #redBorderHeader .wr_contentrow .wr_content { height: 14px; }

> HTH

>chin chin
                                  >Sinclair

• 14. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                                    Level 7
                                    Cory C. wrote:
                                    > I guess that closes the gap in FF but that also makes the header to thick and
                                    > the drop menu overlap too much.
                                    > That's why I set the height of it.
                                    >
                                    > Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                    > > Remove the third last rule.....
                                    >
                                    > > #redBorderHeader .wr_contentrow .wr_content { height: 14px; }
                                    >
                                    > > HTH
                                    >
                                    > >chin chin
                                    > >Sinclair

>
                                    >

I think it's perhaps it's a little too clumsy a construct - personally
                                    I'd go with a header and a footer with your redPillarTop and
                                    redPillarBottom included in the slices then use the faux column method
                                    for the content area.

Three divs and your sorted :-)

--
                                    chin chin
                                    Sinclair
                                    • 15. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                                      Cory C. Level 1
                                      Yeah, but the pillar idea is for it to expand with the length of the content. The pillars would also be able to move left to right and use more than one pillar as well. I can also change the width of the page without making new graphics.
                                      That covers all the reasons why I'd like to get over these last hurdles instead of another reinvention of the concept.

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                      I think it's perhaps it's a little too clumsy a construct - personally
                                      I'd go with a header and a footer with your redPillarTop and
                                      redPillarBottom included in the slices then use the faux column method
                                      for the content area.

Three divs and your sorted :-)

--
                                      chin chin
                                      Sinclair

• 16. Re: Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                                        Level 7
                                        Cory C. wrote:
                                        > Yeah, but the pillar idea is for it to expand with the length of the content.
                                        > The pillars would also be able to move left to right and use more than one
                                        > pillar as well. I can also change the width of the page without making new
                                        > graphics.
                                        > That covers all the reasons why I'd like to get over these last hurdles
                                        > instead of another reinvention of the concept.
                                        >

Oh well - just a thought - good luck!
                                        --
                                        chin chin
                                        Sinclair
                                        • 17. Why Me! Can't find the last event destroyer.
                                          Cory C. Level 1
                                          Here's how it works.

Because ie is the only one out of FF 2~3, Safari, and Chrome that didn't have a gap under the header for the pillar to blend with, I set the CSS thus.

.pillarTop {
                                          background-image: url(../images/redPillarTop.gif);
                                          background-repeat: no-repeat;
                                          height: 16px;
                                          width: 36px;
                                          background-position: top;
                                          top: -16px;
                                          position: relative;
                                          z-index: 106;}

That positions it for everything but ie.
                                          I then put the quick fix in the document:

<!--[if IE]>
                                          <style type="text/css">
                                          /* The proprietary zoom property gives IE the hasLayout property which addresses several bugs. */
                                          #outerWrapper #contentWrapper #content {
                                          zoom: 1;
                                          }
                                          .pillarTop {
                                          top: -10px;
                                          }
                                          </style>
                                          <![endif]-->

Zammo', now I can get on with my life.