10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2009 4:12 PM by Steve Grisetti

Naration in stereo

When I use naration in PE 7 it only records on the right channel - either with my jackplug headset, or USB webcam mic. Any ideas? I'm using a realtek HD audio manager but there is nothing to suggest the mic shouldn't feed to both Left and Right Narration channels. I'm a bit stumped!

• 1. Re: Naration in stereo
          Paul_LS Level 4

Sorry I cant really help as I dont do much narration on my video with PE7. There is a Fill Right and Fill Left audio effect that can be used to fill the other channel. But it doesn't help with your basic recording issue.

Also I suppose it is a stereo mic? One thing to try is to drag the narration to another audio track... do you see the two channels?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Naration in stereo
            Ed.Macke Level 3

Stupid question, I know, but you haven't changed the balance control in either Windows Volume Control Line-In, your audio control panel, or PRE, right?

Does your audio control panel have a mic volume test facility? Can you see if the input is all going to one channel?

Alternatively, obviously the mic source is mono; I'm wondering if something, somewhere is expecting it to be stereo?

Sorry I don't have any answers, just thinking out loud.

Big picture seems to be that either a mono source is being directed to one channel by something, or your PC is expecting a stereo source and only getting one channel....?

• 3. Re: Naration in stereo

Hi Andy,

Can you please update your finding with what Ed.Macke has written. I too feel that there is some windows setting that you are missing. Also, USB webcams, headsets are mono input devices so in the ideal case both the right and left channel would have the same content. So please check your windows settings and update the findings.

• 4. Re: Naration in stereo
                Level 1

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'm using a logitech 9000 webcam which has a reasonably decent mic built in and is a mono source. I'm using a Realtech HD Audio manager, and the OS is Vista Home Premium. When I record sound using the Vista Sound Recorder it quite happily outputs to both left and right channel as a .wma file and then plays back in Media Player on both channels. If I import the wma file into PRE 7 it works just fine too - but that doesn't really help for doing naration where I want to see the image I'm narating to in real time.

It feels like a setting in PRE - but I can't find one to change anywhere.

Most practical solution is to use the fill left/right effect which does map the audio across and so solves the problem - but its not really satisfactory, somewhere there is something not quite right.

Anyway thanks guys.

Cheers

Andy

• 6. Re: Naration in stereo

I bought one of those mics Steve mentioned above on Ebay for less than $10, and it was brand new. It works very well.

• 7. Re: Naration in stereo
                    BlueDevilfish

I have the same problem as the original poster. I want to try the Fill Right, Fill Left option but I can't find where I access this facility. I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me how I go about using it.

Thanks!!

• 8. Re: Naration in stereo
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Under Edit/Effects. Go to the drop-down menu on this panel and select Audio Effects.

• 9. Re: Naration in stereo
                        BlueDevilfish Level 1

Thanks very much Steve! Seems easy when someone points it out to you!

I would like to try one of those stereo microphones you mentioned, but I don't know if it would work with my JVC Everio camcorder, or with my PC due to the power issue.

• 10. Re: Naration in stereo
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Electret microphones usually carry their own power supply in the form of a little battery that can last for years.

It should plug right in and work fine with your stereo camcorder.