3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 1:32 PM by mindgrove

user can't move forward if they have gone backward

Hello,

I am struggling with a weird problem. I have searched the forum, but haven't found an answer to this problem.

I have a tutorial, so lots of text slides interspersed with a few random question slides pulling from pools. The quiz setting is set to "allow backward movement" but none of the slides have a back button, because I'm using a skin and I would rather have just ONE place for people to click "back."

Here's the problem:

Let's say I have 20 slides, and the first quiz question is on slide 10. If a user decides not to answer the question, and go back, then they can never move forward past slide 9.  I've tried deleting slides to see if there was something odd about the one slide, but basically the same thing happens, a user who goes back to a slide before the first question slide, will always end up stuck on the slide before the first question slide.

If they don't make the mistake of moving backward, and just go along through the rest of the tutorial, they can answer quiz slides on 15, 17, 18, and they can move back to slide 12 forward to 18 with no problem. But if they go back to slide 9, they'll be stuck there.

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems just crazy and I'm really confused.

thanks for any help you can offer!

• 1. Re: user can't move forward if they have gone backward
          Level 1

The workaround that I've thought of, is to have the very first slide of the tutorial be a question. If I do this, then user can safely go BACK and not get stuck. But this seems like a crazy solution.

• 2. Re: user can't move forward if they have gone backward
            Level 1

I saw this post:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/25972#25972

which seems like a similar problem. The problem is that the solution that post describes, making sure that student can "review quiz" also makes it so that they can move past questions without having to answer them all.

I want it so that a user must answer all questions, in other words, can't get to the slide after a question without answering the quiz question, but once they've answered it they are free to move back and forward.

My crazy solution (first slide is a question slide) is starting to look better to me!

• 3. Re: user can't move forward if they have gone backward
              mindgrove Level 1

Hi,

This is working for me, I think! I'm using Captivate 4 and I'm running a tutorial which comprises a few learning slides, a quiz, a few learning slides, a quiz etc at the end I've got a review slide, then a close project slide.

This is the behaviour I'm getting:

On first entry free to move forward-backward in the learning area;

On entry to the first quiz free to move only forward, back movement now locked out;

On answering the questions in the quiz zone free to move back again but only to see (not change) the answers submitted in the quiz section;

Now free to move forward-backward in the second learning area;

On entry to the second quiz free to move only forward, back movement now locked out;

On answering the questions in the second quiz zone free to move back again but only to see (not change) the answers submitted in the second quiz section;

On exit from the last set of questions zone free to navigate backward and forward again (any slide to any slide) allowing a full review.

Thus my tutorial is, in effect, advancing crabwise one section at a time.

If this works for you, my settings are:

Skin with only forward, backward, and exit buttons selected (yes they can bail out, but they could close the browser or viewer that they are running in anyway).

Review selected (I have all the scores etc displayed).

Disable backward movement selected (in quiz settings).

My quiz tutorials are daisy chained with other tutor materials - but these, because they are quiz free, are controlled with full skins (all the keys including a TOC and self paced learning set).

Regards,

Henry