6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2009 4:26 PM by kglad

Can AIR do this

mballom3 Level 1

More and more i hear about AIR and its capabilities, despite all the whistles and bells i haven't gave it a try yet but today i have some general questions to help set my mind whether the jump is worth it or not.

1- Can you import an existing mySQL database in the AIR 1.5 database system?

2- Is there a visual database management system like phpMyAdmin?

3- Could AIR replace efficiently my existing workflow which revolves around flash-php-mySQL?

4- Is the support for 3D as robost as Director?

I really need knowledgeable answers to these questions as it will help me make an important purchase decision for a long-term project in europe. Please answer or comment only if you know or at least have a working knowledge of the different technologies that iam comparing.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Can AIR do this
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1.  no, air uses sqlite.

2.  yes, but i can't remember its name right now.  i'll check when i get home, if you're interested

3.  yes, if you can use sqlite

4.  i don't know anything about director, but there's no native 3d support unless you're using flash cs4 to create your air application.

• 2. Re: Can AIR do this
            mballom3 Level 1

Thank you kglad, your answers show more encouraging points toward AIR than not.

"2.  yes, but i can't remember its name right now.  i'll check when i get home, if you're interested"

Iam sure and certainly interested you can also add this email please webmaster(at)centrobec(at)ca

Just one last question if you dont mind how steap would the learning curve be to migrate to SQLlite for someone familiar with mySQL?

• 3. Re: Can AIR do this

2.  i'll send that name and link (it's freeware) in a few hours.

the learning curve for sqlite from mysql is 0.  maybe that's because i never did anything esoteric with mysql, but you can create databases, create tables, add data, remove data and edit data with sqlite.  so, i'm not sure what's missing.

i never did any significant data manipulation with php.  because i'm more comfortable with actionscript, i just used php as a gateway between flash and mysql and did all data manipulation in flash.

i really think the main difference for developers is the ability to handle large numbers of users simultaneously by mysql and that's not the case with sqlite.

• 4. Re: Can AIR do this
                mballom3 Level 1

For the sake of precision and clarification (in case someone else might be asking similare question) what i meant by 3D support and comparison with Director is the ability to layout out a complete 3D scene in a program like Maya then import it within the program and navigate within the world with cameras, etc. This is something Director does natively. I have heard of something like papervision3D plug-in that could make flash do the kind of stuff but i hardly could have more information.

• 5. Re: Can AIR do this

flash has no native support for camera control and navigating through a scene.

papervision is a (free) 3rd party collection of classes that adds 3d control to flash using actionscript.  it does not add any capabilities to the authoring environment.

1 person found this helpful