9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2009 4:30 PM by Jeff Bellune

Please help with exporting from PP to AE and then back to PP.

Hello,

I'm having a hell of a time getting the correct Aspect Ratio. Here's what's going on.

I shot at 720/24P in Adobe On Location. Imported into Premiere Pro CS4 and cut it down to 7 minutes.

I then tried exporting it as an AVI file and imported into After Effects. Did a few simple titles and then rendered the file. When I import it back into Premiere Pro to encode it as an H.264 file, the aspect raio is not full screen.

Rather it looks like a 4:3 with black bars on both sides. I've tried several ways to export this file into AE but so far nothing has worked.

Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong and how to fix this?

(How do I export the original file in P.P. into AE, add titles then export back into P.P. for the final encoding?)

Thanks very much.

Mark Dalzell

• 1. Re: Please help with exporting from PP to AE and then back to PP.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

First I'd ask why move to AE for simple titles?  Premiere is fully capable of this function.

Second I'd ask even if there is a legitimate reason to go to AE, why export a file?  Why not just use DL to go from Premiere to AE?

Third I'd ask once in AE, why go back to Premiere for export?  AE's export functionality should do fine.

• 2. Re: Please help with exporting from PP to AE and then back to PP.
            Level 1

First: The titles are not really "simple". I was unaware that P.P. offers 3D for text.

Second: When I rendered in AE the only selection I saw was .AVI.

Third: I can export to a H.264 file in P.P. Does AE render to that file extension?

So Jim, it would be very useful and helpful if you could give me the steps for working

with DL.

• 3. Re: Please help with exporting from PP to AE and then back to PP.
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

1. For 3D Text, you need AE.

2. Dynamic Link is only available if you purchased the Suite and not just the individual point products.

3. Using the Render Queue, H.264 is indeed an available choice.

If you have Dynamic Link available, go to File>Adobe Dynamic Link>Import After Effects Composition.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Please help with exporting from PP to AE and then back to PP.
                Level 1

Jeff,

Thanks for taking time to help. I do have the suite and I did try File/Adobe Dynamic Link/Export (from P.P.). When

I dbl. clicked on the icon in AE nothing happened. I know I'm doing something wrong but have yet to fig. it out.

I will look for the option of rendering as an H.264 file. An oversight on my part.

Other than the one tutorial I found on this site using DL, what other info can I access to learn how

to use it?

Best.

Mark

• 5. Re: Please help with exporting from PP to AE and then back to PP.
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

Other than the one tutorial I found on this site

You will find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                  Eddie

• 6. Re: Please help with exporting from PP to AE and then back to PP.
                    Level 1

Thanks for the link Eddie. I'll look into it.

• 7. Re: Please help with exporting from PP to AE and then back to PP.

It's possible that you didn't wait long enough.  When the DL dialog

opens, you choose your AE project from the left side, and your comp from

the right side.  It can take a while for all of the background processes

to load and do their thing.  During this time, there is no feedback to

the user at all.  This method assumes that your AE project and the comp

already exist.

Another caveat is that DL is not two-way at the same time.  IOW, you

can't dynamically-link a Pr sequence into an AE comp, and then turn

around and link that AE comp back into a Pr sequence.  You have to pick

which direction you want to go.  Typically, I will copy/paste the

clip(s) in a Pr sequence into an AE comp, then go back to Pr and link to

the AE comp.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: Please help with exporting from PP to AE and then back to PP.
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        you can't dynamically-link a Pr sequence into an AE comp, and then turn around and link that AE comp back into a Pr sequence.

Close enough.  Seen it done in the tutorials.  There's a way to select the desired clips, directly open a new AE project and comp from Premiere with those clips exactly as they are in the Premiere sequence, do your manipulations in AE, then when you switch back to Premiere, those AE changes show up on the clips in question.  You effectively get Premiere>AE>Premiere.  Any and all changes made in AE show up in Premiere.  The only thing you can't yet do is make changes to the original clips in Premiere, as they get replaced by the AE comp.

Still, I'd call that two way DL, and it may be the most efficient way to ge this job done.

• 9. Re: Please help with exporting from PP to AE and then back to PP.

JSS1138 wrote:

you can't dynamically-link a Pr sequence into an AE comp, and then turn around and link that AE comp back into a Pr sequence.

Close enough.  Seen it done in the tutorials.  There's a way to select the desired clips, directly open a new AE project and comp from Premiere with those clips exactly as they are in the Premiere sequence, do your manipulations in AE, then when you switch back to Premiere, those AE changes show up on the clips in question.  You effectively get Premiere>AE>Premiere.  Any and all changes made in AE show up in Premiere.  The only thing you can't yet do is make changes to the original clips in Premiere, as they get replaced by the AE comp.

Still, I'd call that two way DL, and it may be the most efficient way to ge this job done.

Potato, Potahto.  Smoke and mirrors.  The only difference between that and the copy/paste that I described above is that Premiere automatically does the copy/paste for you, and automatically adds the AE comp to the sequence as a replacement for the selected clips.  You can call that 2-way DL if you want, but I won't.  I'm pushing for real 2-way dynamic linking.

-Jeff