3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 6:41 PM by Sean_Wilson

SWF files slow down movie tempo

I have a director movie which at some point has 11 SWF files on stage. The SWF files are small, around 100k, and they are played at 5 fps,fixed frame rate. They are looped so they payforever until I stop them at a later point.

During the period these SWFs files are playing on stage my movie's tempo slows down significantly to like 2-5 fps.. Before I used to have only 3 SWFs on stage and I will place them in various sprites so every SWF movie would have 3-4 occurences on stage (so again a total of 11 swf files) and the movie's tempo would not slow down this much..

Any ideas on how to solve the performance issue when having multiple SWFs movies on stage?

I apologize if this is not the right sub-category for this question but I couldn't find any other ones.

Thank you

Alex

• 1. Re: SWF files slow down movie tempo
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

It sounds like the number of swfs that you have playing is taxing the processor too much. Would it be possible to combine the Flash animations into one single swf? Playing one swf takes less work than playing 11.

• 2. Re: SWF files slow down movie tempo
            ginod Level 1

hi Rob, and what about when we have to play many of then?

i have a project who need to play many virtual photos making in flash with controls.

is there a problem with the memory or with the speed of the movie?

i have the project in quicktime version but i think flash will be better for speed... what do you think?

cheers

Gino

• 3. Re: SWF files slow down movie tempo
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
              i have the project in quicktime version but i think flash will be better for speed... what do you think?

I think you'd be better to try it for yourself and see than to rely on anyone's advice based on a vague description. Performance will vary depending on the number of Flash sprites on the screen at the same time, and on the capability of any individual computer.