5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 12:39 AM by elaine montoya

.xfl export from After Effects fails

dv8kiwi Level 1

The project (that failed to export with URL in swf mentioned in prev. thread) will not export as a flash file. I have chosen to ignore "unsupported features" as it would simply be too large if there was any frame-by-frame rendereing of bitmaps, or FLV. The AE comp cosists of only flash-type animation (transforms of still images and text) and when I export to swf, I choose "ignore unsupported features" and the swf plays entirely as expected (apart from the url issue).I have been trying to find documetation (somewhere -anywhere!) which lists "supported features" of this type of export and there is nothing. So as far as I can tell there are no features "unsupported" by Flash, but in the complete absence of supporting documentation on this point there is no absolute way of telling. But all I get as a result of exporting my 1373 frame animation, (1350KB as a swf), to the fabulous new XFL format is a big fat 1 KB xfl file of no consequence. It opens in Flash correct size and background, but no content.

The drawcard for me in upgrading to the CS4 version was the widely-touted feature of increased compatibiliy with Flash. In my experience so far this is completely lacking. Can anybody offer suggestions or is it that this "feature" is just a complete waste of time and money?

• 1. Re: .xfl export from After Effects fails
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Please be more specific. You are not telling us anything that would help. What's the resolution of the comp? What assets are you using? Audio? What kind of text? Other things of importance?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: .xfl export from After Effects fails
            dv8kiwi Level 1

Thanks for responding Mylenium. Sorry I can't be more helpful. The comp is here for another 24 hrs or so:

http://thehaypaddock-site.fjstaging01.pbstaging.com/

It is the swf which runs on the landing page.

No audio, as per my previous post, assets are just test and still images. Images have transforms applied, text has animation effects.

• 3. Re: .xfl export from After Effects fails
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm sorry, but the page doesn't seem to wanna load, so we'll have to do this the odd way:

- Size doesn't exceeed 1080 pixels in either dimension?

- Only PNG, FLV and JPEG fiels as sources?

- Comp uses square pixels?

Those would be the first things to check.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: .xfl export from After Effects fails
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                > I have been trying to find documetation (somewhere -anywhere!) which lists "supported features" of this type of export and there is nothing.

In the "Export a compsition as an XFL file to Flash Professional" section of After Effects Help, there is a detailed description of what gets passed through, what gets transcoded, and what gets rasterized. Anything not explicitly mentioned as being converted must be either rasterized or ignored (depending on the setting that you choose). Make sure to read the comments on that page, too, since one of the After Effects testers contributed a differently worded explanation of th same material that you might find more helpful.

• 5. Re: .xfl export from After Effects fails
                  elaine montoya Level 3

I have had great success with the new .xfl export from After Effects to integrate with Flash, so I was suprised to read that you were having difficulties. Without seeing your AE file, my guess would be that on export you need to have rasterize selected.

Try this and see if it works:

1. in AE: File > Export> Adobe Flash Professional (XFL)

2. in the pop-up window, under rasterize to, select FLV as the format

3. click the 'format options' button

4. in the new pop-up window, make sure 'export video' is checked

5. as the video codec, try On2 VP6

6. click OK to close the window, and then click 'ok' again on the other open pop-up window

7. name the file and safe to your desktop

Now try opening the file by double clicking it to let it open in Flash.

Let me know if this works for you.

good luck!

elaine