5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 6:20 PM by the_wine_snob

What specs should a LAPTOP have to edit HD with Premiere CS3?

Anna2257 Level 1

I want to buy a laptop that will let me edit HD material with Premiere CS3.

Laptops have their own processors classifications, which makes it more difficult to understand wheather they will work with Pr CS3 or not.

Mainly I am concerned about the eprocessors specs, because there are laptops with 4 or 5 gigs of RAM out there, and as I understand the screen res should be at least 1280 by 1080, right?

Thank you.

Anna

• 1. Re: What specs should a LAPTOP have to edit HD with Premiere CS3?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Anna,

You should probably give the Sager laptops a look. I use one that's now 2 years old, so much has likely changed and for the better and faster. I do not do HD editing with mine, but I can run Photoshop, AfterEffects, PrPro and Encore, while doing some significant Projects. The only limitation that I find is the 17" monitor, as I am used to working on dual 21" monitors, and had to learn how to shuffle Panels.

The biggest drawback with most laptops is the I/O system. I've got 3x 200GB SATA II's, and I'd guess that one could now get 3x 500GB SATA II's. I'm still on XP-Pro, so the 4GB of RAM is my limit. With Vista 64-bit, or Win7, the MoBo's possibly now offer 8GB RAM. For HD material, I'd go with all you can fit and a 64-bit OS for CS4. If you wish to stay with CS3, then look into XP-Pro SP3, and do not take "no" for an answer. I had to get a special code to get XP-Pro and 4GB with mine, as everyone was pushing Vista 32-bit. Talk to tech support, as well as sales support, and hold your ground.

With the addition of a FW-800 dual channel ExpressCard, I can edit to/from 2TB externals quite well. Remember, I'm only doing SD editing. As eSATA is becoming more mainstream for externals, look to a dual channel (2 controller chips) eSATA ExpressCard and also eSATA external drives.

One of the biggest pluses with the Sager is that they come with only what you order loaded - no bloatware to spend days removing.

Only issue that I have had was with the multi-drive, which was replaced under warranty. The unit gets used about 8 hours per day, everyday that I am in town. Could not be happier.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: What specs should a LAPTOP have to edit HD with Premiere CS3?
            windowman

Say Bill,

The specs on that laptop says that it can come with a Single Nvidia, Dual Nvidia, or Nvidia Quadro graphics card. I don't know much about graphics cards. What's the difference between them? Does it have to do with using a second monitor and so forth?

• 3. Re: What specs should a LAPTOP have to edit HD with Premiere CS3?
              Anna2257 Level 1

Thank you for your replies.

I am mainly unclear about the kind of processor I should get, what will be at least good enought that allow it to work.

The laptops processors are called differently, and if somebody has an experience of running PP CS3 on a laptop and aditing an HD footage that would be really helpful.

Thank you,

Anna

• 4. Re: What specs should a LAPTOP have to edit HD with Premiere CS3?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Basically, the differences would show up with 3D applications. A dual card would likely be hooked up as SLI, but could also drive more monitors. A Quadro has built in 3D capabilities and beefier GPU's, but these do not do anything of note in 2D. I have one in my workstation, and the Video performance of PrPro is about the same as my nVidia G-Force 8800M GTX in my laptop. However, when I purchased my Quadro, it was one of the few 512MB video cards. Now, it's way down the list of much less expensive cards. Were I doing a lot of 3D work, I'd look into the Quadro. Were I a gamer, I'd probably look into the dual cards and maybe go the SLI route. For PrPro, PS, AE and the rest, a good single card is all that one needs and really can use.

Hunt

• 5. Re: What specs should a LAPTOP have to edit HD with Premiere CS3?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Anna,

I've got the Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz and it's perfectly fine for my SD work. If you're looking to do AVCHD editing, you might want to look at an i7 CPU, if they are available yet for laptops. I do not know of any laptops that accommodate dual CPU's or Xenon CPU's. However, that could well be changing, especially the i7's.

Hunt

[Edit] I just saw that Sager now offers the Extreme chip