10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2009 11:07 PM by dznr88

After Effects CS4 won't open?

Hildergarn

I installed my After Effects and did everything properly and used it maybe once or twice until it started to not open at all.
      Everytime I open it now the licence Agreement' comes up everytime and I have to press Accept, but when I do the After Effects loading screen comes up for maybe 2 seconds and then disappears with a sound and no message. Just doesn't wanna open.

Is there a reason for this?

Thanks for any help, its GREATLY appreciated!

Mike

• 1. Re: After Effects CS4 won't open?
          yenaphe Level 4

Can you provide us with more information:

What version have you installed, trial or retail ?

What is your operating system, Mac Os X, Windows XP/Vista 32/64bit ?

What are the specs of your system ?

Have you tried to uninstall it and re-install it ?

If it's a retail version, you are entitled for a number of free call to the adobe tech support (including installation issues).

• 2. Re: After Effects CS4 won't open?
            Hildergarn Level 1

Hi there, I installed it as a full retail version.
            It's worked fine upto maybe a week or two ago when all of a sudden it loads (the purple screen) and then nothing happens or comes up.

I have Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and its a 32-bit I believe.

Here are my specs...

Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
            System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061 (a830n)
            Bios: Version 08.00.10
            Processor: Intel Pentium 4 (2 CPU's with HT) at 3.20GHZ
            Memory: 2040MB RAM
            Direct X: Version 9.0c
            250 GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
            Chip Type: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

Like I said, it has worked fine upto a week or two ago when it just doesn't wanna come up.
            I am thinking its more of a computer problem or something affecting the program...but again, I wouldn't know what.
            I have uninstalled and re-installed it a few times and it does the same thing. It'll come up maybe once or twice and after that, nothing.

Like any information you can give would be so helpful!
            Thanks a lot.
            Mike

• 3. Re: After Effects CS4 won't open?
              yenaphe Level 4

If you have the licence agreement dialog coming up everytime, i guess it's a registration issue.

If it's the case, your best option is to call support, because the registration scheme is much more than just a serial to enter, and if something on your computer made it gone wild, uninstalling and installing AE again won't solve the problem.

Maybe Milenium or Adolpho will have more information to help you, but sadly for me it's all i can think of.

• 4. Re: After Effects CS4 won't open?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Sébastien said, your licensing system is messed up, probably due to an update that went wrong. I recommend you take a look at this document and try a few things:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405970&sliceId=2

The most common resolution is to simply delete the cache.db file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\PCD. You can then input the serials again and everything should work. If that's not the case, then call support. As an owner of the full version you are entitled to free help in install and licensing issues.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: After Effects CS4 won't open?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Don't hesitate to contact Adobe Technical Support with installation and activation issues. Technical support for this sort of issue is free. There are instructions for contacting Adobe Technical Support at the top of the main page of this forum.

• 6. Re: After Effects CS4 won't open?
                    Hildergarn Level 1

I looked through that all and not much could help, cause it deals with things (negative) that happen...but my problem is nothing at all happens!
                    I also tried to delete that file you mentioned and I did, but the problem still exists.

HOWEVER...I was looking at my add/remove programs and decided I didn't want the After Effects Third Party Content so I got rid of it...and I found out that now my After Effects opens. Strange. BUT, upon opening, it automatically "installs additional plugins and effects" and for some reason that brings back my After Effects Third Party Content. And even then, if that installation doesn't finish, it'll sometimes crash and give a message along the lines of "Sorry, After Effects has crashed and must shut down..."

Would you have any idea on what's going on?! And would Adobe give me any help, as I didn't buy the program from them? A friend of a friend gave it to me...and again, its worked fine before.

Thanks a lot!

• 7. Re: After Effects CS4 won't open?
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Hildergarn wrote:

A friend of a friend gave it to me...and again, its worked fine before

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but if it's from unreliable sources, then you should expect trouble.... this sounds a bit fishy. You may have the wrong installer package to begin with. That aside, certainly your system is not the most powerful one and there may simply be a compatibility issue. waht do the install logs say about the matter?

Mylenium

• 8. Re: After Effects CS4 won't open?
                        Hildergarn Level 1

Oh but he bought it.
                        I was with him not long ago, and I liked it so much I asked him for a copy (which I was also present at).
                        And again, its worked fine before, like I've done huge projects on it and everything.
                        Its just recently its been acting this way...not coming up.

• 9. Re: After Effects CS4 won't open?
                          yenaphe Level 4

maybe you have maxed out the number of activation for the software. If you have a valid serial number, and if the software is registered, you can call without fear the Adobe support.

• 10. Re: After Effects CS4 won't open?
                            dznr88

I guess its cause of auto udpation. Un install the software and remove all the values from regex too. Then install it and stop that feature. hope it works.