7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 2:55 PM by windowman

viewing video in browser on computer before uploading to webpage?

1henry11

Details:

I shot a video using Sony XV2000 camcorder.

Using firewire I uploaded to PE7

Edited the video in PE7 down to a 3.5 minute demo.

When it came time to "Share" I chose to share to "computer"  rather than online directly to my website on my server.  My website did not yet have a page designed to receive the video. So that did not make much sense to me.

So I shared to computer in hopes of loading to my website once the page was designed.

I placed the video in a folder on my computer. An icon appears there that looks like a small film clip with the letters on it: MPEG.

When I click on that icon the video automatically plays, and very nicely, in Windows Media Player.

I then designed a page using HTML. But I cannot (don't know how) to get the video to appear on that page. I would like to see the completed page with the video on my computer before loading to my webpage on my server.

What do I need to do? Is there possibly an HTML code to accomplish this? The "img" tag doen't do it.

Anybody's help would sure be appreciated.

• 1. Re: viewing video in browser on computer before uploading to webpage?
          windowman Level 1

Well you're asking for a crash course in HTML really. Is it that you want the video to be embedded "on" the webpage instead of allowing people to download it to their desktop and watch it or to stream it with a media player? If so that gets kind of complicated and there are a number of ways to achieve it, none of which will be much appreciated by your audience who would usually rather just download or stream it. Videos on web pages sometimes work and sometimes don't depending on the browser being used and the permissions each user allows. Using a flash player is the best way to do it I think. For instance, here's a short video of only a few seconds in length showing some Swish lettering samples:

Video Test

That video probably won't show on a FireFix browser, at least it won't on mine. But there are a lot of different ways to do this.

• 2. Re: viewing video in browser on computer before uploading to webpage?
            1henry11 Level 1

Charles, that was really cute but it did not tell me anything about my problem.
            I don't really need a crash course in HTML. I have 9 websites that I have designed using HTML. However, I have never worked with video. As I mentioned, the edited video is in a folder on my hard drive. I have designed a page in which I would like to view it before uploading it to my server. Specific suggestions would sure be appreciated.

• 3. Re: viewing video in browser on computer before uploading to webpage?
              windowman Level 1

I gave a specific suggestion: use a Flash player. There are tons of free ones out there. Convert your file to FLV and upload it to the same folder as your flash player. Whatever player you decide on will give you instructions on how to place the code on your web page. I use the JW Viral Plug-in. Here's the way it looks (and you can view it on just about any web page):

FLV Test

• 4. Re: viewing video in browser on computer before uploading to webpage?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, I thought that Charles covered it pretty well. With video on a Web page, the designer has a ton of choices. Just like designing for a wide range of browsers with a regular Web page, compromises must be made and these usually come after the audience has been completely identified.

One can build in all sorts of players, and their implementation in the HTML will differ. The FLV player is probably the best general option, working for the greatest audience. Charles' second reply gives a good one to use, for completely embedding the player and the source file. One could also choose to stream from their host server, and use other file formats and players. The options are virtually endless and their choice should be based on the exact audience that one wishes to reach, plus the assets that they have available.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: viewing video in browser on computer before uploading to webpage?
                  1henry11 Level 1

Charles and Wine Snob, thanks for your help.

I have partial success accept for one thing explained below:

After editing the video in Premiere 7 I saved it to a folder on my computer  as a Quick Time (.mov) file.

It showed up in my documents and played fine.

I then posted the following into the html page where I wanted the video to play:

<object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" width="320" height="256">
                  <param name="src" value="monademo.mov" >
                  <param name="controller" value="true" >
                  <param name="autoplay" value="falce">
                  <object type="video/quicktime" data="monademo.mov" width="320" height="256">
                  <param name="controller" value="true" >
                  <param name="autoplay" value="falce">
                  </a>
                  </object>
                  </object>

I uploaded to my website and works beautifully ACCEPT FOR ONE THING:

Strange! When opening the page on the web there is no "skin" around the player ( I think "skin"  is what you experts call it.)  I mean there is no framed player. Just the Quick Time control bar. When you click on the start triangle on the control bar it plays fine. But with no "skin" it looks kinda' strange.

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

• 6. Re: viewing video in browser on computer before uploading to webpage?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I'll not be much help here. I would feel certain that you can create the "frame" for the QT player, and probably invoke the "skins," but have no clue as to what coding you'd need. All of my HTML coding has been with an abstraction layer programs, like Dreamweaver, so I really do not do any actual coding myself. With Dreamweaver, I embedded all sorts of things into pages, but most were already coded in HTML, or JavaScript, and all I did was Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v. I am certain that you know more pure HTML, than I ever will.

Unless someone with coding experience, especially with the QT player, steps up with some ideas, I'd check the forum for your Web publishing application. It is probably just a little bit of JavaScript to get exactly what you want, but I'm clueless.

Good luck, and please post back with your findings, as it will almost certainly help someone else down the line. Plus, I'll learn something new!

Hunt

• 7. Re: viewing video in browser on computer before uploading to webpage?
                      windowman Level 1

Yeah, I don't know a blessed thing about embedding mov files either or how to fix your problem. I stay away from mov files because a lot of people on a Windows machine will have to download a QT plug-in to view them, and by and large, I think most people won't bother, whereas everyone has some version of the the Flash player that comes standard with every web browser I know of. They may have to download a newer version of it depending on what version you publish with, but they're more likely to do that because there are so many places on the web now that use Flash for lots of things, including just about every movie site like YouTube, Hulu, ABC, NBC, CBS--they all use the flash player--so people are used to having to download new versions of it when it becomes available. But Quicktime...not so much.