3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 6:00 AM by RoboColum(n)

Error 1931 during RH8 for HTML installation

tojo45 Level 1

Using Windows XP, RSC3.1 with RH7 already installed, and installing RH8.  During the installation of RH8. I received the following error:

"Error 1931: The Windows Installer service cannot update the system file C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcp60.dll because the file is protected by Windows.  You may need to update your operating system for this program to work correctly."

The install continued normally after the error, but I don't know if there is an impact to functionality or not.

I can find nothing in a search of the forums for this error, and any information anyone could provide will be greatly appreciated.  I am an "administrator" user on my PC.

Regards,

Joe

• 1. Re: Error 1931 during RH8 for HTML installation
          RoboColum(n) Level 5

Hi Joe. You may want to check this link which explains a little more about the file. Did you have your firewall switched on at the time?

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

• 2. Re: Error 1931 during RH8 for HTML installation
            tojo45 Level 1

Colum,

Thanks for the info.  I am part of a corporate network, so yes firewalls and all the usual network security facets are, and were in place.  The info at the link you provided was interesting.   I can see why you wondered about the firewall.

I haven't had time to use RH8 since the install, but what little I've done seems to have no problems from the message during the install.  But it is a little worrisome.

Does the RH8 install reference that file I wonder?

Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

Joe

• 3. Re: Error 1931 during RH8 for HTML installation
              RoboColum(n) Level 5

Hi Joe.

It was more of a hunch than anything. The link mentioned that the file could be malware / spyware so I was just interested as to whether your firewall wouldd have spotted it. Also I have seen the odd post here where a firewall has interferred with a RH install. As far as I know the file menstioned is not referenced by the install.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

1 person found this helpful