14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 5:46 PM by mybruno

Premiere Pro Compatability

I have been using Premiere Pro CS3 V3.2.0 to edit video.  I need to replace my camera and need to know if this software will understand tapeless format and receive information with a USB2.0 connection?  Software specs indicate OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture, export to tape, and transmit to DV device.  I am considering a Canon FS200 camera.  Please reply with information about the connection and experience with this software and camera combination.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere will not be compatible with that camera.  You might try some consumer level software.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere does not work with USB at all, only Firewire

Premiere prefers DV AVI Type II files for SD (Standard Definition) editing

Any other type of SD file will cause problems

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
              Level 1

Thank you for this answer to my question!

Premiere does not work with USB at all, only Firewire

Premiere prefers DV AVI Type II files for SD (Standard Definition) editing

Any other type of SD file will cause problems

>

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Even Premiere Elements wants a FW (IEEE1394) connection. In a very few, rare circumstances, it will work with certain USB connections, but not very often.

Do not know about CyberLink's PowerDirector, Magix, Pinnacle Studio or the Sony Vegas programs. One might work. Check them out closely, and I'd attempt to get a trial, because Premiere Elements "mentions" that it can Capture from USB, but the requirements are so limited as to make it virtually impossible. If one just reads the bold print, they can be horribly disappointed, when they try it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                  Level 1

Thanks for the response. It seemed from the online info that Premiere

Elements was the solution. Do you have any idea how to work with these

kinds of cameras?

-Barbara

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Barbara,

Looking at the Canon site, all I can find is that the camera connects via USB and produces files in the MPEG-2 format. I cannot find if this is ADVHC HD capture, or not. Maybe I missed something.

Now, it could well be that you can transfer the MPEG-2 files to the computer (USB will work fine for that), and then Import these files (not quite the same thing as doing a Capture) into Premiere Elements.

I would suggest that you post to the "Community" at Muvipix and ask there, as someone is probably familiar with this camera, and can advise you on what the proceedure would be for working with these files. It could well be that other than the inability to Capture via USB, you could work well with the files in PE. Also, Muvipix is not an Adobe site, and many there use other NLE programs. Note that it is both a free and subscription site. To post and use the fora there ("Communities") you can do so for no fee, plus can download many free items from tutorials to stock footage. To download all of the possible content, one does need to subscribe, but you are just interested in the "Community" aspect. Post to the Premiere Elements 7 forum, and someone will help you get it sorted out.

Sorry that I do not have all possible specs. and direct answers to your questions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      produces files in the MPEG-2 format. I cannot find if this is ADVHC HD capture, or not.

AVCHD is an MPEG-4 variant.  If it's MPEG-2, then it's either consumer level standard definition, or HDV.  In this case, it's the former.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                        TommyKovacs Level 1

I am using a JVC Solidstate Camera that records *.MOD files. Premier Pro 2.0 or above does not recognise this file. I simply download the clips into a directory via a USB connection and change the file extension with a DOS batch program from *.MOD to *.mpg. I don't seem to have any problem using Premier Pro 2.0 or PP CS4. Both the video editing and sound quality appear perfectly normal.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                          Level 1

Tommy....Thanks!  This is the best news I've gotten so far.  I would

much prefer to continue to use Premiere Pro rather than to have to

purchase another software program.  We have the camera and software on

order.  I think I'll try this method first before opening  and

installing the Premiere Elements software.

The forum reponses I have received have all been very helpful and

informative.... yours included!

Barbara

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                            Level 1

Stupid question of the day, but once the original .mod clip is

downloaded into a directory, can the file just be 'renamed' using the

.mpg extension?

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Of course - DUH!

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Should not be a problem. I'd guess that Tommy is using a DOS BAT file to do multiple renaming in the same folder. There are several re-naming utilities that work in Windows, but the DOS method is just as valid and possibly quicker. Na`Mo and SuperExplorer are two that I have. I think that Na`Mo is freeware and SuperExplorer is shareware (been so long, that I have forgotten). My guess is that there are many more out there newer, faster and more full-featured.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS with the .MOD files, you might also want to poke into the PrElements forum and do a quick Search for MOD. There are a lot of discussions, and most will probably apply to PrPro, as well.

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                                  TommyKovacs Level 1

Just to make sure that you don't knacker your original files, after downloading copy the files to an other directory and then change the *.MOD or whatever to *.mpg. Do this extra work the first time you do the change. If it works for you you are home and dry.

Tommy

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro Compatability
                                    Level 1

Tommy,

Thanks for the original suggestion and the follow-up.  That has become

my plan after I really screwed up an original file, but I'm forever

grateful for the reminder.  I can't wait to give it a try!

-Barbara