20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 6:29 PM by Stan Jones

Why, oh why this login/register procedure?

Harm Millaard Level 7

Can somebody please explain to me why you get kicked out of the forum only 6 minutes after posting a reply, requiring a new login procedure?

What is the sense of this approach? Has Adobe never heard of Cookies? Come on Adobe, fix this ASAP.

• 1. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't been over to the forum on forums for a bit, but as of a week ago, I did not see a clear statement as to why this was happening (or even "what" the process was that is kicking us off).  The system is running on "sessions" which are clearly timing out and requiring logging back in.  Some forum systems require you to click to refresh and it automatically gives you a new session without having stored your password, but this one does not.  I thought at first that the adobe account login was persistent (the "Welcome Stan" stays at the top even when "login" appears at the forum level lower on the page), but when I tested this, it appeared that I was not in fact still logged in to the account.

It sure is annoying.

• 2. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
            Thrill Media Level 2

Agreed,

I find the new forums more annoying than anything.  Just logging in each time makes me not want to visit and will curtail my action here. (May make some of you happy.   )

Maybe I will get more work done this way!

• 3. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I have yet to find anything about these new forums that is better than the old.  Everything that changed is either worse, or irrelevant.

With the old forums, I could be away for a week, use my bookmark to return, and I was still Logged in.  It needs to return to that behavior.

• 4. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                Bill Heslip Level 1

Hopefully, this speed-bump will cut down on compulsive posters that often have little or nothing to say.

I know I'll be posting less.

• 5. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                  don solomon Level 1

Logging in  will not stop oc posters. I seriously doubt it is deliberate. It isn't to Adobe's advantage to have its forum regulars driven off. It is simply screwed up and a Royal PIA that should be fixed asap.

• 6. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                    Andy Urtu Level 1

The new forum is ok. I am not thrilled, but not bummed either.

By the way, I posted this message after a long pause and not logging in....I don't know how I did it.

• 7. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I'm with you on this. Now, I do have to say that I am getting logged in more often, than earlier - about 2:5, where it was 0:5 before. However, the log-in seems to be time-related from when you first logged in, not how active you have been, while being logged in. I get these WTF moments, all of the time. For me, I could see starting the clock on us, but it should be re-set with every post.

Oh well, just gotta' learn this stuff all over again. As I do not think that I have that many "good years" left, I should not have to endure another Adobe forum change in my lifetime.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

During a couple of years on the fora, I think that I only had to log-in maybe twice, and once was when I cleaned out ALL cookies by mistake. For a bit, with the new system, it was log-in each time. That has improved a bit, as I've been getting the auto log-in with some regularity (or had been, until I said that!)

Only things that I really like about the new are the attachement and the ease of formatting a link. I had wished for the indention formatting, but without the "New" banners, etc., find it more confusing, than helpful. Be careful of getting what you wish for...

As I'm still sorting it out, I'll not be hyper-critical yet. Also, I seem to be experiencing a lot more OE with the new ways, but that's probably natural for someone like me.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          and the ease of formatting a link.

Huh?  Used to be you could just type the HTML.  Now we have to go through some special method to get straight HTML to work.  That's not easier.

• 10. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

I assume you know that nobody responsible for forum design decisions is going to be reading this thread in the Premiere forum.

If you want to wade around in the Forum Comments forum; thats where the Adobe Forum guy hangs out.

• 11. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

For this old guy, it is. Before, I had the HTML coding on the desktop, and then had to cut and paste the URL into that, in the right spot, then copy and paste back to the forum reply text box. So far, that is one of the things that I DO like about the new fora, though that list is far shorter than the things I do NOT like about it.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe we should invite him over, and Jeff can bring the yoodles and the Rolling Rock?

Good point though,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

JSS1138 wrote:

and the ease of formatting a link.

Huh?  Used to be you could just type the HTML.  Now we have to go through some special method to get straight HTML to work.  That's not easier.

You just click the HTML link in the upper right and then you the coment window is interpreted as true html.  That's seems reasonable to me for html jockies.

• 14. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

That's seems reasonable to me for html jockies.

...and you can make it your default editor by clicking the "Always use this editor" link near the top, left.

Cheers
                                    Eddie

• 15. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                                      windowman Level 1

I stay logged in for a day or two. I could swear there was a question somewhere I answered that asked me how long I would like to stay logged in for, and it gave you a few different options, so I picked the longest one. I can't find it now.

• 16. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

You just click the HTML link in the upper right and then you the coment window is interpreted as true html.

Duuuuude!  You rock!

• 17. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I guess that the forum was smart enough to not ask me, as I'd have chosen something like 2025. Lately, I have been logged in on more sessions automatically, though have been booted out, just 40 sec. after a post. Also, the last two days have seen the slowest performance on all of my Adobe fora, not just Encore.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                                            don solomon Level 1

Grrrr.  Damn this new forum.  Not only will it not remember me, necessitating a login every time I open it, but it will not show me all the posts on a given thread sometimes--other times they all come up.  And, it will not allow me to advance to page two of the subject  threads--doesn't matter whether I click 0n 2 or Next, it will refresh to page one endlessly.  Is this some form of revenge for being critical of Adobe lately (Premiere and LR only), or do the rest of you suffer these problems (and I have only named THREE of many) with Ghandian forebearance?

• 19. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                                              windowman Level 1

Do any of you know anything about internet cookies? I thought I'd show you mine for this forum and maybe you can figure what it is about the cookies Adobe has for me that allows me to stay logged in so much longer than the rest of you. They have two cookies on me:

charles seper@adobe[2].txt

s_vi [CS]v1|49ED4ABC000072B8-A0208AF000000AC[C E] adobe.com/ 1024 2435827200 30366800 2705497424 29999681 * RMID DGoWyyGg0XBXMEN%2BvPv98veMHRIJU1p6C HSgpliTyHI%3D adobe.com/ 1536 823060352 32203188 1993968128 30000432 * AUID ashxp7RjXB2%2BVJDiTGiOMACGGb%2B7nCxX4 2aOYSCD7qqh11k2TV%2BKe%2BdkBJWBWSjh adobe.com/ 1536 875440000 30000625 1993968128 30000432 *

charles seper@forums.adobe[1].txt

jive.recentHistory 312c3432313832373b312c3432323638353b312c3432 313535333b312c3432313935393b312c343232383635 3b312c3432313930393b312c3432313237383b312c34 32303435393b312c3338383531323b312c3432313230 383b31342c333430373b31342c333234373b31342c33 3338313b forums.adobe.com/ 1536 86235136 30006459 2043498128 30000432 *

There must be something in all that, at least for one of those cookies, which effects log-in time.

• 20. Re: Why, oh why this login/register procedure?
                                                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't had time to test the various options.  I have had multiple login requests at undetermined intervals.

I tend to keep one browser window open with multiple tabs (IE7).  I closed my browser earlier (but did not log out); when I next clicked on a link in a forum email, I was logged in.  When I later logged out; I needed to log in - which makes sense).  I have not tested this for long, but I am trying only one window and one tab open.