9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 10:40 AM by lazlo

gradient tool bug when masking an object in FW CS4

lazlo Level 1

Hi,

1. I create an object
      2. I apply a mask (reveal or hidden - doesn't matter)
      3. I then select the gradient tool to make a transparency gradient to the mask
      4. I get one end of the gradient spectrum as white, one as grey
      5. if I select greyscale or alpha channel, then change the gradient spectrum to #000 and #FFF, it still applies the gradient as though I have not changed the colours; the gradient tool fails to keep my updated settings and falls back every time.

Is there any config file that I can delete to get round this issue, or can someone advise how to fix this, its driving me nuts.

many thanks,

• 1. Re: gradient tool bug when masking an object in FW CS4
          Nadia-P Level 5

I haven't tested what you describe, but you can try the following and see if it helps:

Restore default preferences

• Quit Fireworks.
          • Locate the      Fireworks      Preferences file on your hard disk      and delete it.
            The exact location of this file varies from system to system.
          • In Windows, preferences      are      in your user-specific Fireworks      configuration folder.
          • Windows [Drive]:\Documents and      Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS#\English\

• In Mac OS, preferences are      in      the Library/Preferences folder in your      user folder. For information about      locating      your Mac OS user folder, see Apple Help.

• Mac                   [User]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Fireworks CS#/en/Fireworks Preferences

• Note: On Mac OS,      most      Fireworks user-specific configuration      files are stored in your      user-specific      Application Support folder.

The Fireworks CS4 Preferences file is an exception.

• 3.  Restart Fireworks.
          • The next time Fireworks is      launched, a new preferences      file will be      created that restores Fireworks to its      original      configuration.
          • 2. Re: gradient tool bug when masking an object in FW CS4
            Linda Nicholls Level 4

Where are you selecting greyscale or alpha channel? That's not available in my version of Fireworks, as far as I can tell.

• 3. Re: gradient tool bug when masking an object in FW CS4
              lazlo Level 1

Hi,

please see attached screen grab - alpha greyscale options are at the bottom within the properties inspector for the gradient tool.

also available to view at:

http://www.theredworks.net/fw_issue/index.html

• 4. Re: gradient tool bug when masking an object in FW CS4
                Linda Nicholls Level 4

Can you upload a copy of your Fireworks PNG file? I can't understand what you are trying to do with the mask.

• 5. Re: gradient tool bug when masking an object in FW CS4
                  lazlo Level 1

Hi Linda,

All the file contains is a rectangle, here's the process:

1. CTRL-N 600x400
                  2. U - hold click and drag to create rectangle
                  3. MODIFY > MASK > REVEAL ALL
                  4. G - hold click and drag to fill the mask with a gradient

whilst at stage 4 of the above, any amendments I make to the gradient prior to applying (changing grey to black at one end of the gradient spectrum or moving the blend scale) are lost and it reverts to white-grey mix, therefore I can't get a gradient of 0 to 100% Alpha.

All I'm trying to acheive is a rectangle that is transparent at one end and blends through to 100% at the other.

I can upload .png but you wont be able to see what I'm doing as it doeesn't apply, all you'll see is a white-filled mask linked to the rectangle in the layers panel.

best wishes,

• 6. Re: gradient tool bug when masking an object in FW CS4
                    pixlor Level 4

If you want your image to fade from transparent to opaque, you set your mask gradient from black to white. The grey level in the mask determines the transparency of the image. You wouldn't set any transparency on the mask in this case.

• 7. Re: gradient tool bug when masking an object in FW CS4
                      heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Lazlo, I have been able to replicate your problem. It seems that after enabling the Preserve Transparancy option off to on, to off again, and then attempting to set an end stop manually to white does not stick.

Though as a workaround, select the Gradient picker in the PI, at the popup, choose Black, White from the Preset drop down list, and it should revert back to normal.

h

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: gradient tool bug when masking an object in FW CS4
                        lazlo Level 1

many thanks for taking the time to check this out.

Heathrowe, yes that's the problem I've been experiencing; not being able to update the gradient paint buckets on the slider.

Your workaround works, much appreciated.

• 9. Re: gradient tool bug when masking an object in FW CS4
                          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

No problem.

There is definetely something odd happening in that process. If it's by design, it doesn't seem to serve a purpose, otherwise it may be worth a moment to report it as a bug, here.