5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 2:14 PM by the_wine_snob

How can separate project files be combined into one?

Can anyone help with this? I'm new to the software and have now produced 2 project files (2 parts of a familly holiday), and now want to combine these into a single file before putting onto a DVD. However, the system doesn't let me "import" one of the files from the directory to combine into the other. Is this possible and what might I be doing wrong? Or must they remain as separate files?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

• 1. Re: How can separate project files be combined into one?
          Paul_LS Level 4

Unfortunately you can not combine projects in PE7, you can in the Pro version Premiere Pro. However, there is a work around. When you have completed one project you can export it as a DV-AVI. Place the work bar area over the project on the timeline and then go File>Export>Movie. Then bring this video file into the second project using Get Media, complete you project add DVD markers, menu and burn to disc.

It is a good idea to do this with long complex projects. Make shorter sub-projects and then combine them in one master project at the end.

There is another way to do it where you can actually combine projects. For this you have to use Clipmate, there is an issue with audio but see this thread on how it is done:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1764911#1764911

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can separate project files be combined into one?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The only thing that I would add to Paul's answer is one little warning. Well, not really a warning, just a note on something to consider, before you Export Project A to be joined with Project B. Make sure that you have your edits done and are 100% satisfied with the result in Project A. The reason I stress this is that you will end up with a single DV-AVI Type II file when you Export and all cuts and Transitions will be included. On one hand, that is a good thing. On another, if you decided that you needed to alter a Clip in Project A, once Exported, about all that you could do would be to cut out the Transition and then alter the Clips. You will no longer have the same Handles on those Clips, as when they were in their original form in Project A. Now, one *could* cut out the Transitions on both ends and Import the original Asset, then set its In & Out Points to fit, before reapplying Transitions, but that is a lot of work. Just something to think about, and one could always Open Project A back up, make the correction and then re-Export, but that is quite a bit of Rendering time.

As Paul points out, PrPro does allow for the Importation of one Project into another, so you still have everything in a totally editable state. That is a really nice feature. If I did not already have PrPro, that one feature would probably sway me to buy it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How can separate project files be combined into one?
              Level 1

Hi Hunt - many thanks for the help. Will give it a try!

Cheers

Steve

• 4. Re: How can separate project files be combined into one?
                Level 1

Useful advice - many thanks!

Cheers

Steve

• 5. Re: How can separate project files be combined into one?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

All "thanks" should go to Paul.

Good luck,

Hunt