7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 5:31 AM by Kent Jakusz

Dumb Question??

Kent Jakusz Level 1

I hope the philosophy here is that there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Here goes.

Adobe Classroom in a Book for Premier Pro states that when opening a New Project under the Project tab you have two choices DV or HDV when in actuality the choices in my version of CS4 are HDV and QuickTime.  I have been under the impression that QuickTime can be either DV or HDV and with that premise I do not understand what my choices are.

Thanks

Kent

• 1. Re: Dumb Question??
          Andy Urtu Level 1

Are you on a Mac?

What is the date and version referenced in your Classroom in a book?  Sounds like it is refering to version Premiere 2.0.

DV is dv.

HDV is HDV ( a mpeg2 based format)

mov is a container.  It can use many types of codecs.

What camera are you capturing from?  That will determine what project type you should choose.

• 2. Re: Dumb Question??
            Kent Jakusz Level 1

I am on a Mac .  The book is for CS4, bran new. The option in question is in the CS4 version of Premier Pro under capture/format my options are HDV or QuickTime not HDV or DV as stated in the book.  When and why would I choose QuickTime for a capture format?  I guess if I were importing some files in QT formats but then what do I do when I want to import DV?  Is the QT option replacing DV a recent change?

Perplexed

Kent

• 3. Re: Dumb Question??
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Its one of the few differences in the sw between platforms.   Though MAC can play an avi wrapper, it prefers quicktime.

In Pr; HDV is a different capture mode than DV.   For example some cams can play back booth DV and HDV; so you have ot tell Pr which capture mode to be in .

• 4. Re: Dumb Question??
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I hope the philosophy here is that there is no such thing as a dumb question.

My sister once called me on my home phone (a land line) and when I picked up she asked "Hey, are you home?"

I thought that was a pretty dumb question.

• 5. Re: Dumb Question??
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers.

• 6. Re: Dumb Question??
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Different people's brains work differently.  I am convinced that right

brain/left brain only scratches the surface.  What is patently obvious

to one is shrouded in mystery to another.

(And then there's the issue of *my *brain.  I've killed so many of its

cells over my 33+ years of adulthood that nothing is obvious anymore.)

People also make mistakes.  And I mean everybody.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Dumb Question??
                      Kent Jakusz Level 1

Five correct answers.  Well said, thank you.  Now how do I mark all as being correct?

Enjoy

Kent